Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DVD rental companies. Opinions please.
  • Jenga
    Free Member

Looking at joing a DVD rental company seeing as there's a great bi emptiness in TV schedules at present. Is anyone on here a member of one, and if so any problems/good points. Are they worth it or is it just a short term fad? Is it cost effective?

Any opinions please?

jon1973
    Free Member

Always been happy with Love Film. Started off with unlimited rentals with 3 at home at once but now down to 1 at home at a time, which seems enough unless you're a real film buff.

Not quite the same a browsing around Blockbuster for inspiration on a Friday night, although it does recommend titles for you. I think we pay about £7 a month which is less then 2 retals from Blockbuster. Go for it I'd say. If you build up a big list of titles then it's always a bit opf a surprise when you get a film through the post.

mt
    Free Member

Love Film (used to be Amazon) works well. They send dvd, you watch it, send it back freepost and they send you another. You get to choose what you have. It's so simple we don't think about it other than to select a few films ahead.

Jase
    Free Member

Lovefilm here too.

Fast delivery.

Have the 2 per month option for £3.99.

Jake25

Yup I am with Love Film too, you can normally find a "Free for 30 days" offer somewhere. A friend in my office is with the Tesco one and he says it is great too, it is about £1 less per month.

verses

I've been using the Tesco branded version of LoveFilm for about 3-4 years (if that's a short term fad 😉 ). Signed up as since becoming parents (see numerous other threads 😉 from today) we couldn't get to the cinema as much.

They've occasionally sent the wrong DVD or one that the player couldn't read, but they've always rectified the problem with no issues.

It works well for me; I watch a film, put it in the post box, another arrives a few days later. Ideally I'd like them to stream films over the web rather than using discs but I can wait for the future to arrive 🙂

grim168
    Free Member

Rapidshare 😉

hainey
    Free Member

Lovefilm here too, great service.

Drac

I used Tesco which is Love Film, I cancelled my account as they said I never returned the a disk. They failed to cancel my account and sent me another disk, I promptly returned this and cancelled my account. Unknown to me they didn't cancel the account and claimed I never returned the disk, a third party then demanded funds for the disk they claimed I never returned. This is when I found out they had never cancelled my account, I emailed them with no reply so had to pay up in the end. They then managed to cancel my account.

I was probably unlucky as know so many others who have no trouble but nice to give people a warning.

Jase
    Free Member

Doesn't Tesco use 2nd class post though?

verses

Tesco have different 'levels' of rental package and their 'Value' level packages use 2nd class post; it's rarely a problem for me.
    I guess it depends if you're wanting a steady stream of films that you can watch, send back and get another quickly. Or if you struggle to find time to watch one and on the odd occasion where you have a free couple of hours there's a film sat ready for you 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

Lovefilm are starting to do streaming – some films are free but some have a charge evan if you are a member which seems odd to me. Watched "mesrine" the other night for free and it worked very well

grievoustim
    Free Member

By free I mean free to subscribers

simon_g

Used easyCinema for a while (lovefilm rebranded) which was good because they charge per film, not per month – great if you can go weeks without watching something. Stopped bothering since they made credits expire after so many days and too many times I'd buy more credits only for them to expire.

For things like TV series boxsets I'd be inclined to just buy cheaply from amazon marketplace, or look out for discounted offers, rather than watch a couple of episodes then have to wait until the next disc arrives.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Used Teco a few times – great for obscure DVD's (ie Neil Peart's anatomy of a drum solo which was @ £25 to buy) or when you have a lot of spare time. Good VFM if you do get to watch the dvd's and you can temporarily suspend the account if you want a break. Agree that for box sets you can buy on line then resell for a small loss which I've done a few times. A few discs haven't worked but they sent them out again and not had any lost in the post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DVD rental companies. Opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.