Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • dvd and the nexus 7
  • yetidave
    Free Member

I have a pile of DVDs, a nexus 7, two kids and a wife, a WiFi connection, a 250gig hard drive and a holiday in Spain, oh and a cable to go from mini USB to USB which may or may not run the hard drive…

What’s the best way to get DVDs in a format playable on the nexus?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Root the tablet. Get stick mount app. Use USB otg cable to connect hdd to tablet. Tablet will run a flash stick but eat battery so I copy films over then disconnect… ( or did…. Parents nexus got stolen last week). Hdd will need to be powered though.

Or….video mix app (find on Facebook) and video downloader…. Naughty …. Video mix is a search engine VG for peer to peer sites.

neilnevill
    Free Member

You may also want to get a mini HDMI to HDMI cable to connect to TV in Spain if available. Or pixel DMS which works like apple air play…. Turns the tablet into a dnla server so a smart TV or ps3 etc can render the films wirelessly

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Nexus Media Importer doesn’t need root and allows reading of a drive via USB otg.

I use Handbrake to rip DVDs and copy them to storage then Nexus Media Importer to copy from storage to device.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Unfortunately unlike the 10, the Nexus 7 doesn’t support hdmi out.

Skitch or Twonky Beam will also fire your media over WiFi to a smart TV.

TooTall
    Free Member

What g-s said. Media Importer + otg cable + USB flash drives = the way forward. You can’t just bash a USB to USB cable on it – doesn’t work.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I was tight… Root was free as was stick mount.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and if the 7 does not have mini HDMI then I presume slim port…. as I do for my 4? Or did Asus do it sensibly with MHL which is a much cheaper usbmini to HDMI format

yetidave
    Free Member

I think I have an otg cable at work. Any media importers which are free, or am I going have spend £2.60? I have several 8G USBs sticks I can use which maybe are less power Hungary than HHD. As for rooting? Eh?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I use skifta for steaming over WiFi using DLNA to the ps3 and/or copy to ps3. Or could use a DLNA smart enabled tv.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Oops, yup Skifta not Skitch!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Root it, or pay for the app.
    Root is easy, just get root access and add sugar app, leave stock ROM. Go to xda developers forum and use one of the tools from there. You’ll be rooted in under 10 mins.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘dvd and the nexus 7’ is closed to new replies.