Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 'duty free' cameras?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I need a new camera for my holidays, a decent point and shoot will do. Are there significant savings to be made if I wait and buy one at the airport (Heathrow) on the way out? Or are they marked up above usual high street/internet prices?

Dibbs
    Free Member

The last time I looked at duty free at Heathrow, most stuff could be bought cheaper online (but that was some time ago).

trail_rat
    Free Member

i often find my self bored in airports and go for a wander – finding my self amaized at the price of stuff in the airports – they must work on folk thinking its tax free its cheap.

its also limited as to what you can get , if you know what you want id get it before you go.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a con. You’ll get better deals by looking for specials elsewhere. The duty free shops rely on people having preconceptions that it’s cheap, and being bored wandering around airports. And being in a holiday mood I suppose.

headfirst
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I thought as much. Will have a look around online.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as above. Pretty much anything in an airport is a bit of a con. Also, as well as limited range, there’s often very limited stock. Same applies for sunnies, etc.

crankboy
    Free Member

my immediate experience is watches which were up to £10 cheaper on the high street than in duty free. At my end of watch lust £10 is a significant percentage.

mrmo
    Free Member

just to put the other side in, last watch i bought was at duty free, it was end of line clearance and was actually cheap.

It can happen, but don’t bet on it.

m1kea
    Free Member

In a word, NO.

Also found that ‘Duty Free’ mecca, Dubai, to not be that competitive when we transited through there a few years ago.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Duty free Andorra isn’t cheap either unless you smoke that is.

Buy on line, easier to return if it goes wrong anyway and you will be able to charge it up, get used to the controls etc before you get to your destination.

tinybits
    Free Member

And duty free Germany is sodding expensive!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If you call Dixons Travel, they’ll tell you how much the camera is and whether they have stock of it before you travel.

AlexSimon

I remember someone saying that if you ring first and reserve something, you can get the normal UK price minus VAT.
    That’s as long as Currys/etc are reasonably priced in the first place

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re not paying duty anyway, just get it from one stop digital?

beaker2135

Duty Free not profit free
    It will be cheaper online for sure

mrmoofo

I go thru aiports twice a week.
    There is nothing cheap about duty free

all the perfumes can be bought cheaper on line. Most of the alcohol is marginal – but I cannot be bother to carry 1 lite of spirits – unless its a steal.

Cameras, sunglasses etc way cheaper else where

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘'duty free' cameras?’ is closed to new replies.