Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dusk Till Dawn (Snowdon)
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s been on my ‘to-do’ list for about 3 years but next year I absolutely will be riding down Snowdon. I remember seeing a video link on here to a couple of guys who walked up in the evening, camped up near the summit overnight and then rode down at sunrise. My wife and I would really like to do this ourselves.

Has anyone here done something similar who could offer some wisdom. Best time of year (weather wise to do this), minimal stuff to take up for the night, typical weather conditions to expect at the summit overnight, best route down etc?

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother camping on the summit – it’s not the cleanest of summits. You can get up and down in an afternoon/evening and this time of year is a lot quieter than most other times though we might get a cold snap again soon which would make it a death trap.

The consensus is generally to decend via Snowdon Ranger. The Llanberis path has been manicured for the walkers and has too many rock gardens on it now.

tymbian
    Free Member

I want to do Snowdon this year as well. I thought it was up ranger down Llanberis but I’m still doing my homework on this one. How many routes off Snowdon are there? As a side Q..is it possible to cycle from Snowdon to Antur Stiniog?

bullroar
    Free Member

I thought it was up ranger down Llanberis but I’m still doing my homework on this one

Probably not the best way but you might be getting confused.

You can start at the Ranger YHA ride the zig zags and then over the col and down the Tynyraelgarth valley to Llanberis. Up the tourist path and then back down the Ranger. This means that once at the top it is down all the way back to the car including those zig zags you went up in the morning.

maxtorque

And on my list too. Deffinately up Llanberis, and down the Rangers. Seems to be recommended to park at the ranger station, and start by the up-n-over-ing bridleway to Llanberis first.

Perhaps we should have a STW Snowdon day out?? 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

is it possible to cycle from Snowdon to Antur Stiniog?

on the road…yes

over the mountains – I highly doubt it!

There are 8 walking routes up snowdon, I think only about half of these are ridable – Rhyd Ddu, Snowdon Ranger, Llanberis. The first of these isn’t often done I don’t think. the Ranger is quite popular due to it’s relative quietness of walkers compared to the Llanberis.

I am not sure if the Watkin has ever been done but you’d not ride off the summit in a hurry!

Chew
    Free Member

I’ve been up Snowden twice this year. Once as a day trip, one as an overnighter, camping on the top.

If you go up and down in a day, definatly do the Rangers path. The route was published in the mag a few months back, and it gives you all of the route details in there.

If you’re thinking about camping at the top this is what we did:
    http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1068

Best times to do it would be anytime over summer, when the evenings are going to be warm, as at that height you’re going to loose a lot of temerature, but more of waiting for a weather window when things are going to be calm.

In terms of gear, i just took a sleeping bag, mat, bivi, and a few warm clothes.

Glad i did it, but not sure i’ll be in a hurry again. Snowdens very used and it wasnt great getting woken by all the 3 peaks people with their headtorches and chatting at 3am, and out of all the bivi’s i’ve had this year, it was the least glamorous.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dusk Till Dawn (Snowdon)’ is closed to new replies.