Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dusk til Dawn – one for the historians!
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I was turning out some junk from a chest of drawers and found a report from the second time this was run. Forget the TMTBR version, this is the old Ken Ward series. Has anyone got any idea when it might have been?

Team Mint Sauce won the mixed pairs, Rob Lee won the solo and Team Activ Trek the men’s pairs.

aP
    Free Member

2004 or 05 I think. We rode mixed pairs as well, but not to trouble the podium. I really enjoyed it, the following year I rode solo again not troubling the podium, herself won the women’s team.

slowjo
    Free Member

I guess that was about the right time. We missed 3rd in the men’s team event by 30 seconds.

I really enjoyed the first iterations of that race. Decent length loops and the forest hadn’t been trashed with over use. Ken (Ward) wasn’t the most approachable of people but he did put on a good event.

The dawn lap was always the one people wanted to ride especially as it used to warm up shortly afterwards.

Interesting note, there were only 300 riders in the whole event….but I seem to recall it feeling pretty crowded at the time.

JoB
    Free Member

just did some googling and the 10th Anniversary of D2D was in 2010, so does 2001 make sense?

although i feel it should be later, i probably have photos in a shoe-box in the loft

ac282

I’m pretty sure I did it in 2003 and it was well established then.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have a feeling it may have been in the 1990s. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I seem to recall there being a gap between the KW and PH take over.

crazy-legs

It’ll be 2002 / 2003.
    I think I was in it too, probably in the Men’s Pairs. IIRC I’d entered the inaugural event but then broke my hip so the organisers carried my (our) entry to the following year.

We did it again the year after and had a complete disaster, I was really ill midway through and it was cold and damp so we ended up withdrawing.

The dawn laps were spectacular though, used to get stunning sunrise through the trees.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If it was the one with the dead rabbit… I did that one.

slowjo
    Free Member

I can remember one of my team mates had just bought a pair of gen 1 Vistalites. They were hot off the press so to speak and we were all slightly dismissive of his having so much light….who would ever need that much?????

Have just gone the lights route and they are mentioned in a review of ”Older Lights” in 1999!

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Was either 02 or 03, Rob definitely won one of those I remember as I rode with him a bit around that time and we rode as a solo entry on the tandem at both with the first of them being our better of the two with a top 20 finish.

I still remember that dead rabbit too…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I did it around ’03 or ’04. No dead rabbits spring to mind… Good loop though – got passed on a recce loop by Guy K and Steve W who were shifting along while having a chinwag.

slowjo
    Free Member

Chatted to one of my team mates last night while out on a ride. It was definitely pre 2000.

stumpy01

Assuming that the D2D didn’t miss any years, it couldn’t have been pre-2000 because the 10th anniversary was in 2010.

http://www.xcracer.com/Marin-Dusk-Till-Dawn-2010.html

If there were gaps in the years it was run, then it could have been pre-2000.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have a feeling it may have been in the 1990s. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I seem to recall there being a gap between the KW and PH take over.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dusk til Dawn – one for the historians!’ is closed to new replies.