Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dusk til Dawn off for this year?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Looks like there’s no D2D this year as the website doesn’t look like it’s active. Can anyone confirm this? Sorry if I’m a bit late or if it’s old news!

stu170
    Free Member

Yep, I believe the guys involved in organising it have packed up. This includes the summer and winter xc series as well. Someone else has taken over and set up winter xc events as far as I know. G8 events or something, they are always advertising on timber Facebook page.

stumpy01

Yeah, D2D is not on.

But there is a different event running, as above. I got an e-mail about it a couple of weeks back. It’s a 10hr endurance during the day, running from 11am – 9pm (I think).

Here you go:

http://www.g8events.co.uk/mtb-t10/

ac282

On a Sunday?

Seems like an odd decision.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Sweet thanks Stumpy! It’s now on my calendar.

johnnystorm

Yep on a Sunday. 🙄

Loads of “rise to the warrior challenge” guff on their pages. The winter series is now a number of double headers, some of which are miles away.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah they don’t really seem to be doing anything vaguely sensible with regards to event organisation!

stylish
    Free Member

The Thetford MTB team have all gone onto other things and the events they ran are no more, which is a shame as D2D was always a great event even in the wet.
    The G8 guys who have taken over the dates seem keen but are doing some strange things in my opinion, not 100% sure if they have ever run an MTB event, they have form for moto cross and triathlon, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the winter.

oldnpastit

Sad. D2D and the Winter series were great events. A lot of the M8 series events seem to be miles away (Kent?) which I don’t really have time to do unless it’s going to be something special. No offence to Kent, it’s just quite a trek to get there.

ac282

The Kent venue is right next to the m25 so it won’t be that bad travel wise.

Not keen on Double header weekends in winter.

A winter race at codham is probably going to be a mud fest. It will be interesting to see they can make a decent endurance race lap at Hadleigh.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Yeah I only did D2D once but loved it. It was one of the bone dry years! So if this new event will be any good sounds like it’s anyone’s guess really.

stumpy01

Does seem to be a weird choice to hold a 10hr endurance on a Sunday that ends at 9pm on a Sun. I only live 60miles from Thetford but assuming I finished my last lap spot on 9pm, by the time I packed my gear up and drove home I wouldn’t get home until 11pm at the earliest.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s partly due to staff / volunteers.

stylish
    Free Member

2015 has been a big year for Thetford Forest, many of the trails that have been used for years and were nicely bedded in have gone due to harvesting, leaving an awful lot of fire road, and short sections of singletrack.
    I only live 30 miles away and a 9pm finish seems crazy to me, how do they hope to attract riders from far and wide when the finish is so late on a Sunday? D2D used to bring people in from miles around but I can’t see the same happening here.

readikus

I agree it’s a bit weird, but Thetford is my local trails and I want to support anyone who is trying to put on MTB events in the forest. I’ve entered a team.

readikus

leaving an awful lot of fire road, and short sections of singletrack.

Which bits have gone? I’ve only seen a few bits around BCP disappear, but they seem like they will be fixable once the harvesting has finished.

johnnystorm

The good stuff over in Santon Downham was rapidly going with Harvesting about 18 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dusk til Dawn off for this year?’ is closed to new replies.