Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Duran Duran's Public Enemy cover
  • hora
    Free Member

Duran Duran covered 911’s a Joke.. Listen to it, its Beck’esque. Actually very good but weird. Duran Duran choice as featured on tonights Radio6

dingabell
    Free Member

Wife likes it and she’s a proper old school Duran fan.
    Very different, but good luck to them.

Pook

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k_BgzSDQNk[/video]

hora
    Free Member

I remember watching the Reflex still at number one, rewatching it before setting off for school 8)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i refuse to watch that, or ever listen to this song. ever.
    it’s a disgrace.

scotroutes

How do you know?

Pook

rewatching it before setting off for school

to drop off the kids?

DezB
    Free Member

Duran Duran covered 911’s a Joke.. Listen to it,

No.
    What xherbivorex said.
    He knows because its Duran **** Duran. and yes, 911 would be quite humourous to someone from the UK, WOULDN’t it.

cheekyget
    Free Member

What next….DD doing bring the noise………OI DURAN DURAN……..NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

How do you know?

i just do. it’s one of those things.

colournoise

hora – Member
    its Beck’esque

Proper old school Beck, but yeah, +1.

Which reminds me, this is proper pop genius.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCg-3nxT8E[/video]

RustyNissanPrairie

That DuranDuran cover is bloody awful

Pigface
    Free Member

If I didn’t know it was the Duranies I would never of guessed it was them in a million years.

Wouldn’t call it awful but not my thing.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s awful. It’s exactly as bad as I’d have imagined a cover from a well past-it 80s band of an iconic hiphop track to be.

MSP

Which reminds me, this is proper pop genius.

If genius was beige paint, that would be it in musical form.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ooh hark at the music critics this morning 😆

MSP

At least I have managed to resist letting my thoughts be known on the simple minds thread.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a Simple Minds thread? Jeez, must avoid!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not listened, won’t. Will be tragic.

Joke in your town:/

steveoath
    Free Member

That’s great!

Gary_C

I first heard this DD cover version 20 years ago.

Thought it was crap then, & nothing’s changed.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They don’t embarrass themselves but I am not sure it has much value.

jamj1974

First listened to it when they released it many years ago. I love PE, but wouldn’t say the DuranDuran version is terrible. Besides anyone who writes off DuranDuran wholesale has little real knowledge of pop music. Even if you don’t like them, you can’t deny they had impact and wrote some very catchy pop tunes.

jamj1974

First listened to it when they released it many years ago. I love PE, but wouldn’t say the DuranDuran version is terrible. Besides anyone who writes off DuranDuran wholesale has little real knowledge of pop music. Even if you don’t like them, you can’t deny they had impact and wrote some very catchy pop tunes.

jamj1974

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Besides anyone who writes off DuranDuran wholesale has little real knowledge of pop music. Even if you don’t like them, you can’t deny they had impact and wrote some very catchy pop tunes.

andy taylor is a very talented guitar player, and yes they did write some of the best pop music of the 80s.

at that time though, i was listening to slayer, anthrax, metallica, iron maiden etc etc and therefore did not give a toss about pop music.

i stand by my opinion that them covering any PE song is horrendous.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I haven’t read any of the comments on this thread, but they’re all wrong.

jamj1974

i stand by my opinion that them covering any PE song is horrendous

Every right to have the opinion. It’s not something I choose to play – but the way it’s covered is interesting and not offensive. PE are fantastic – loved them for a long, long time, so I would be sensitive to a truly disgraceful attempt.

DezB
    Free Member

anyone who writes off DuranDuran wholesale has little real knowledge of pop music. Even if you don’t like them, you can’t deny they had impact and wrote some very catchy pop tunes.

That’s hilarious!
    Maybe they did the odd decent INSTRUMENTAL. But that bloke’s voice… nah, I can write any band off wholesale with a voice like that fronting them.
    But yeah, my “real knowledge” of “pop music” is rather limited 😆

scruff
    Free Member

I don’t mind admitting this in public, but I think Save a Prayer is proper good tune.

hora
    Free Member

i was listening to slayer, anthrax, metallica, iron maiden etc

I was listening to all this AND Duran Duran etc. Inbetween playing metal I’d even put on my Mothers Abba records. Shock!

No one should pidgeon-hole or stick to one type of music. Its wrong.

I like anything from HipHop/Dance/Indie/Classical/Folk and Gaelic – anything that grabs my attention.

Duran Duran, like Simple Minds were very big for a reason way beyond ‘catchy tunes’ too. They were talented.

Alot of the metal bands relied on generic gravelly-voice and heavy guitar etc sound. Theres more to music than following everyone else. Duran Duran had the vocals, keyboard – remember they were very very good for the keyboard nevermind everything else.

jamiep
    Free Member

Didn’t they cover ‘White Lines’?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hora, no.

really, that whole 80s new romantic/indie pop/whatever stuff was the absolute antithesis of the music i was listening to.
    i also had quite a large rap/hip-hop vinyl collection, mind, but all that pop stuff was way outside of my musical radar then.

i’m not denying that talented musicians were involved in creating that stuff. but it wasn’t for me.

and, to paraphrase an old mate of mine, “i can’t wait for the keyboards to die”…

edlong
    Free Member

Didn’t they cover ‘White Lines’?

Yes they did, and to be fair, I reckon they’re well qualified to deal with those particular lyrics. 911 maybe less so. Not that I have any problem with artists doffing their hats to the music and musicians that inspired them, which DD were doing with their covers album.

The album they did that on, and the PE cover, also contained DD’s version of Lou Reed’s Perfect Day. Hated by all critics on release, Lou Reed himself was happy to confirm on a number of occasions his view that it was the best cover of the song that he’d come across. Then again, he was a contrary fella, as anyone who listened to his last album (the one with Metallica) can confirm…

+1 for Save a Prayer being a damn good bit of pop music.

jamj1974

That’s hilarious!

There, my day hasn’t all been wasted!

Maybe they did the odd decent INSTRUMENTAL. But that bloke’s voice… nah, I can write any band off wholesale with a voice like that fronting them.

Writing anything off wholesale is a bit lazy to my mind. I’ll listen to most things at least once. Whether I like it or whether it’s good are two totally different and separate things though.

But yeah, my “real knowledge” of “pop music” is rather limited

Now mine isn’t as encyclopaedic as I would like – but pop music for me is a medium I can embrace. It’s accessible, varied and constantly changing. It has more diverse influences than many other types of music or other forms of art. I liked it when I was young because I heard it and loved melody and rhythm. I love it now because almost anyone can hear it, lots of people can get to the tools to make it and because making a thing of true beauty that is only 2.5 – 5 minutes long is a fantastic thing in itself.

Give me popular music over ‘classical’ any time. From the 1920’s to now – I’ll try it.

DezB
    Free Member

Writing anything off wholesale is a bit lazy to my mind. I’ll listen to most things at least once. Whether I like it or whether it’s good are two totally different and separate things though

Nah, it’s simple – music is about sound and if you can’t stand a sound (ie. Le Bon’s voice) that is consistently part of a band’s music, then you can’t listen to it. It doesn’t matter if you write that band off, because there are millions of other sounds to listen to! far too many to discover! And I spend hours every week seeking out new sounds, i certainly don’t need to bother with has-beens like Duran Duran for any of that time.

[edit]reminds me, how I’ve tried to describe this before – to me a bad sound is like a bad smell to other people. if you smell shit you don’t need to go back for more.

jamj1974

Well you listened to it (Or smelt it!) and decided it stinks. You’ve given it a chance!

codybrennan
    Free Member

If we’re talking Duran Duran and cover versions, then surely the best one is:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Uig7YA3vY[/video]

Makes it the band’s own song, while retaining something of the original, which is (IMHO) the point of covers.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Duran Duran's Public Enemy cover’ is closed to new replies.