• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Durable saddlebag ??
  • jekkyl

Can anyone suggest a saddlebag that will last?
    I have been through umpteen and they all break after about 6 months. Either the loop at the back comes off or they split at a seam and I have to tape it up. I want to buy one and have it last for years. Big enough to carry a spare tube, multi tool, mech hanger, levers and a small pair of pliers, it must also have a loop for attaching a light to. In black would be ideal. Budget is up to about 50 quid if needed.
    Thanks

ton

durable saddlebag = carradice. only viable answer really

Edric64
    Free Member
    porkscratching
    Free Member

I’ve got a Carradice Barley, and very nice it is too. It’s probably a bit big for your stated needs though. They can also hang a bit strangely if you haven’t got saddle loops. I use the bagman support with mine.

The zipped roll might be worth looking at (http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=59).

Jason
    Free Member

I have a couple of these:
    http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=26
    They have held up well to lots of use, the oldest is probably 3 years old and still works fine.

I normally carry: 29er tube, tyre lever, co2, multi tool, stick on patches. A bit of a squeeze but fits fine.

StirlingCrispin

Carradice.

My Camper Longflap has been used every day for 20 years and I’m a wee bit miffed that one of the pockets is showing some wear.

(and buy it from Spa Cycles)

Edric64
    Free Member

I inherited a 1960S Carradice bag in perfect nick .Its on my 1947 fixed wheel bike

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup.. Carradice all the way.

jekkyl

Those Carradice bags are very nice but far far too big. I want a more standard sort of shape.

jekkyl

I think what I want they call a saddle pack, look at this gorgeousness, leather straps and metal buckles, lovely.
    http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=120

jonba
    Free Member

love the carradice suggestions, not my immediate thought when asking for a saddle bag. I just have images of fitting one to a 160mm FS carbon ego chariot.

Anyway, assuming you are not riding a steel audax bike I would have a look at Arkel.

I have one of these

http://www.arkel-od.com/us/all-categories/seat-bags-trunk-bags/seat-bag.html

it is just startng to fall apart after 3 years. It has survived a Kielder 100, a couple of goes at the three peaks and many long rides on and off road.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got the same Arkel pack as Jonba, I have several constantly mounted on bikes. The strap buckle on one broke about 3 years ago and I replaced it with one of those mini carabiners and it’s been fine since. Has a small waterproof pouch that fits inside a semi-rigid holder.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I can’t advise on a good one, but stay away from Ortlieb (the bag is great but the QR mounting wears out after a few months of grit and you have to zip tie it on) and also Topeak (the bag fabric rips and the zips give up in no time).

nedrapier

Wildcat tiger? Probably a bit different from what you had in mind, but they cinch up quite small. Well made and not a lot to go wrong. Can also carry a lot if you need it to.

nedrapier

That Arkel one looks great. I might get one myself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for a while on my 29er with no problems. They do a QR version too which recuces the number of buckles. Just about takes a night rides worht of spares (tubes, pads, patches, CO2 + additional cylinder, multitool etc).

No zips to fall appart, and it’s actualy retty rigid and being aroll top you can’t really stuff it like a zipped one so seams probably won’t pull appart either.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-drybag-wedge-w-strap/rp-prod74867

nosedive
    Free Member

I got a topeak quickclip one this week. the clip snapped 20 mins into the ride when I landed a drop off. I wouldn’t suggest the quickclip thing for mountain bikes

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t use Topeak, awful, broken 3 now and lost stuff, last time I spent 40 mins searching for my hire cars key.

Last year or so been using scicon (look on wiggle). Have 3 now and seem to be doing really well. The quick twist link works well if you swap bags between bikes or commute and don’t want to leave it on the bike. Doesn’t mark or rub post or rails either.

Has survived several rough trail centre descents on a hardtail so all in gets a thumbs up from me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’d struggle to dislodge the drybag non-QR bag, the saddle rail strap runs right arround the bag and you’d have to break it on both sides to get it to come off the rails.

jekkyl
    DT78
    Free Member

break it on both sides to get it to come off the rails

yep that is what happened to one Velcro / rail attachment snapped and then the post attachement went dumping bag on the trail

the other one the zip failed distributing contents all over the place

the final one the quick lock thing broke and dangled from seatpost.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Durable saddlebag ??’ is closed to new replies.