Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Durable compact cameras?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Had a Panasonic Lumix TZ7, great camera. 2 problems though, no manual settings, and it hates any form of grit (understandable I guess). I’ve had to strip down and clean the lens a couple times (as well as replaced the entire lens unit once), but this time it’s properly dead, think the CCD has gone, there’s horizontal lines all over the image.

Anyway, so, looking for a new camera.

Would like one that is vaguely sand-proof. Not necessarily one marketed as sand proof (as they tend to look like they were designed by/for 5 year olds), but one that you lot have had good luck with out in the elements.

The camera will be used for, amongst other things, snow boarding, so will get fairly cold and a bit wet.

Also would like;
    Manual mode
    HD video

Budget wise, anything from £100-£200 probably, obviously the less the better. Also happy to look second hand, or used demo or whatever.

Any input would be great 🙂

Duane.

user-removed
    Free Member

Nikon have just brought out a range of ‘rugged’ compacts which seem to be well reviewed…..

Worth a look…

And they come in camo too if that’s yer bag!

stevenieve
    Free Member

If you like the Lumix, Panasonic do a rugged version, the FT2 or the cheaper FT10

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. However, both of those are a case in point really, both look pretty crap, and for the price, aren’t that great.

Not looking for a designed to be waterproof/shockproof/dustproof camera, just one that you lot, as clumsy mountain bikers, have had good luck with; you’ve dropped it a couple times into mud and it’s survived etc 🙂

tang
    Free Member

sony tx5 here, great little camera.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

rugged you need an Olympus tough very buggery proof!

i run a nikon d90 so i have to be carefull

user-removed
    Free Member

…………

ricardo666
    Free Member

My canon ixus 80 seems happy bouncing round in my camelback

Although i do fancy one of these
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-lumix-g3-954028/review

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no middle ground. Either you get a tough one or you don’t and get vulnerability to sand and the rest and have to take good care of it with a nice case.

The only nice svelte looking toughened camera is the Sony TX10.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Durable compact cameras?’ is closed to new replies.