Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • durable budget tyre
  • yunki
    Free Member

as per the title really…
    and I'm not talking about… that new £45 number with the fashionable name and uggboot chillibongo compound 17b dual tread humpty hummer is on sale in waggle..

I don't want a huge debate on grip.. carcass size.. UST UHT MGB STD compatability.. great in deep mud.. but not deep sandy mud.. good on sandstone AND moss but rubbish on lichen and/or gravy

I need some cheapo MTB tyres with a sensible tread pattern that will last effin ages..

any ideas?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Conti verticals. They are cheap and work.

smell_it
    Free Member

Can't promise they will last for ages, but no worse than any other tyres I've had, and they are a great all round tyre and a bargain;

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYKENE/kenda-nevegal-folding-mtb-tyre

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Conti Gravities?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Conti Verts. For fifteen sniffs you cannot go wrong.

They don't wear out in three weeks either.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Those kendas look like what you want and the dual tread compound lasts pretty well.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I go into my LBS and ask what "bargin tyres" they have, its surprising how may customers buy a bike but don't like the tyres and change them for something different, and the shop sells the original tyres off the bike for a good price. 🙂

mhailo
    Free Member

Specialized Enduro 2.2

joeegg
    Free Member

Tioga DH's in 2.1 or 2.3.Big size,tough,will deal with most surfaces but a bit heavy.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Somebody please give the dude some tyres that they have lying around for postage costs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get the Nevegals, they're just what you;re asking for.

yunki
    Free Member

GW is the only person to answer the question with the sort of reply I was hoping for…

I will probably go for the nevegals realistically unless someone can come up with some first hand experience of the type of budget tyre that GW has linked to..

I'm interested in TJs suggestion cos he is likely to be talking sense but my limited experience of conti tyres (cheapy 2.0 mountain kings from on-one) has shown them to be made from some sort of mushroom.. ie tread disappearing far more rapidly than I would like..

What about the lovely OEM Kendas that used to be fitted on entry level bikes and are made of the same stuff as Doc Martin boot soles? Is the nevegal a modern equivalent?

Do Raleigh make a tyre? What do Apollos come fitted with?

Dibbs
    Free Member

What about the lovely OEM Kendas that used to be fitted on entry level bikes and are made of the same stuff as Doc Martin boot soles? Is the nevegal a modern equivalent?

I picked up a pair of Larsen TT's for £20, because the person buying the bike didn't like the look of them, and I've had quite a few Conti Verts for a fiver, they don't last that long, but at that price who cares?

MSP

Geax always seemed good value for money compared with other brands, still using good compounds and tread patterns, but not so well known so no brand premium. I liked the loco lobo tyres.

GW
    Free Member

I have used the tyres I linked to.

sorry, it was late when I threw up the link, what do you want to know about them in particular? they are a good all round tyre not too heavy and roll reasonably well for their size (come up pretty big like a proper 2.3 rather than a Maxxis highroller for example). similar riding characteristics to the old 2.3 Tioga Factory DHs everyone used around 10yrs ago (not such a bad thing) they have a rubber decent compound and seemed more durable than the old (thin sidewalled) Tiogas were (or maybe I'd just gotten smoother with age).

juiced
    Free Member

I have these. http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/101201.html

I ride everything from street to jumping and xc on them. Brilliant tyres. No signs of wear after two years. Roll better than 2.3 High Rollers. Decent on everything from hardpack to mud.Never had a puncture. Brilliant tyres. Look at chainreactioncycles for the reviews. Halo 'Choir ' ones on CR may also be worth a look too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘durable budget tyre’ is closed to new replies.