Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Dunwich Dynamo roll-call
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Seriously tempted to do Dunwich this year, but a little intimidated by the 120 miles distance.

Any previous veterans on here, or any first timers looking for folks to ride with?

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Should add, I’m thinking of it as distance training for this: Beleach Mor

Needless to say I’m behind on my training…

damitamit
    Free Member

Do it! It’s fun!

Its nice and flat and they’ll be loads of people to ride with/behind so the 120 (its usually only 110) miles will pass by quickly.

petefromearth

Slight hijack -I’m thinking of doing the exmouth exodus this year (west country equivalent of the DD)

Both events sound ace and a good excuse to escape to the country for a weekend

What lights do people tend to ride with? Obviously need to see/be seen but don’t want to dazzle everyone else

IanW
    Free Member

If your going to do any 120 mile ride this is it riding in the dark on deserted roads is brilliant. For me its actually 150 mile if I want to get home but my favourite organised ride of the year.
    Once your clear London which is usually fun itself the roads clear and when the last of the drunk driver are gone you will have some lovely rolling roads all to yourself and a few thousand other cyclist.

Mind..you will never want to look at a flashing red light again!

crazy-legs

I’ve done it a few times, once on an MTB with slicks (not recommended, I knackered my knee that way!)

All the times I’ve done it recently have been on my roadie SS but I know plenty of people do it fixed. It’s even been done on a Boris Bike. The distance isn’t a problem unless you set off like a lunatic and die after 80 miles.

More recently, various enterprising locals have set up food stalls in their front gardens. There’s one quite well known spot about 2/3rds of the way there which sells bacon sarnies and coffee from a barbeque in the front garden.

I remember doing it one year and setting off with the Brixton Cycles crew. We caned it out through North London and into Essex, full on chaingang averaging about 25mph. I was wondering how long I could sustain that kind of pace when we reached the pub – clearly the target had been “get to this pub before last orders”. We made it there at about 10.45pm!

It’s not a Sportive in the traditional sense, it’s very much a loosely organised, “anyone can do it” pootle.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

I would take your own food and not rely on the halfway stop for it. You could end up waiting for ages while getting cold and shivering. Stop when you feel like it and just long enough to eat but not cool down too much. Use the half way stop for extra water although you will still have to queue for it but not too long, you can also get some from the water fountain at Needham Lakes (Nr Needham Market). Done it 3 times but not for the last couple of years………first time was on an FS MTB with slick tyres and found it was fine.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Loving the thumbs up from those who have done it 🙂

I’ve been tempted the past couple of years but haven’t managed for one reason or another.

This year for sure.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Rode last year, not going this year as not organised and can’t do that weekend.

My folks live near finchingfield so rode from theirs at about half 11, got in the groups and rolled out to the coast. Snoozed in pub garden and rode back on the Sunday. 220km all in. And back for lunch. Great fun and mad riding through country Suffolk lanes with a stream of lights as far as you can see.

Locals food stops are ace, and trying to explain what you are doing to drunk people in Sudbury provided plenty of entertainment.

Would do it again but not this year.

Edit, rode it on my commuter. A steel road bike with a 3 speed sturmey hub and dynohub lights.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Keen to do it for the first time this year, assuming weather looks ok closer to the time. Training has been pretty lacking recently, but hopefully I can make it. Haven’t got a ticket for the bus back though, and trains look like they might be a bit tricky?

Sandwich

First timer this year after I passed stragglers last year going into work at 8am! Some of them looked a bit unhappy. Not enough miles done this year so I expect I will struggle once we get past Otley. It’s only 30-ish miles home for me once I’ve had breakfast.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m going to do it this year after missing out for the past few years.
    I am seriously considering riding back home afterwards…

crazy-legs

We were going to do that one year. Group of 4 of us. The weather was distinctly mixed all through the night, we got to the beach about 5am, had breakfast (that cafe gets worse every year), sat around for a bit then headed up the hill. As we got to the summit by the village green it started pouring with rain so we hid in a bus shelter for a bit then decided that we’d ride to Ipswich and get the train.

40 miles later, most of it in varying degrees of drizzle we got to the station and bought tickets for the next train to London.

I’ve never yet managed the ride back in spite of all the plans and intentions.

brakes
    Free Member

🙂 yeah, it’s not a do or die, death or glory type commitment. there will be contingencies. and ready-made excuses.

TiRed

I rode it on a Brompton in sub eight hours without any problem. It’s a great ride, but I wanted to catch the train home when bikes weren’t allowed. I also rode it on a mtb with slicks. It’s not particularly hard as the terrain is rolling, the drag up to Dunwich can be a little dispiriting if windy. I may consider doing it fixed with Teen1.

Take your own food.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Think I will be doing it solo, and then heading to Ipswich afterwards for the train home.

tobymc

Done it several times and got slower on each occasion! Embracing that theme, i fancy doing it on the Fargo this time then breaking my bivi duck somewhere on the coast.
    Always swear its the last time, but keep coming back!

damitamit
    Free Member

We were going to do that one year. Group of 4 of us. The weather was distinctly mixed all through the night, we got to the beach about 5am, had breakfast (that cafe gets worse every year), sat around for a bit then headed up the hill. As we got to the summit by the village green it started pouring with rain so we hid in a bus shelter for a bit then decided that we’d ride to Ipswich and get the train.

40 miles later, most of it in varying degrees of drizzle we got to the station and bought tickets for the next train to London.

I’ve never yet managed the ride back in spite of all the plans and intentions.

Rode back a couple years ago. There’s a nice cafe half way back, and also a green opposite it for a bit of a snooze 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s fantastic if the weather is good. If it’s not…

2orangey4crows

Another first timer here.

Have done bugger all training for it, but hopefully an easy pace will see me through.

Anyone got any ideas of the best way from Paddington to the start?

Ta

crazy-legs

Anyone got any ideas of the best way from Paddington to the start?

Marylebone Road > left onto Essex Road > right onto Middleton Road.
    Not the world’s most scenic route but it’s only 6 miles or so.

Quieter routes round the back roads (between Marylebone and Oxford Roads) then via Old Street (past Look Mum No Hands) would also work and there’ll probably be loads of people using LMNH as a meeting point before riding up there.

2orangey4crows

Thanks crazy-legs.

Arriving quite late, so quickest route will be best.

DavidB
    Free Member

Should hopefully be there this year on the CX bike

cheers_drive

I was hoping to do it this year but none of my club mates fancied it. If the weather is perfect I may still do it solo.
    Planning of leaving London fairly late so as to minimise battery use riding in the dark. Afterwards I plan to ride to Lowestoft to catch the train.

bob_summers

Did it a few times when I lived in London, can’t remember which years (somewhere around 2005) but always in crap weather. Loved it every time, fond memories.
    I used my winter fixie, there’s one steep pinch climb in a village somewhere but otherwise pretty rolling (Essex and Suffolk are not as pan-flat as I once thought) on a 48×15.

Spud

Was on my list this year as it’s my 40th this coming Sunday, however my wife being rather ill this year has put things in better perspective. Next year though, next year. We are heading up to Le Tour for the weekend so not all bad, and gives her time to rest.

Lantern-Rouge
    Free Member

Another first timer here as well.

Wanted to do this for the last couple of years but it just hasn’t happened for one reason or another.

First time at riding this distance as well so it could be ‘interesting’.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bugger I’ve got a bit one that day.

pictonroad

I might well make this now, going to park the Mrs and offspring in the van somewhere on the coast and train it into town. I take it as a solo you just hook up with people on your pace?

Unless it rains, Sod doing it in the rain.

wilburt
    Free Member

I take it as a solo you just hook up with people on your pace?

Yep , that’s part of the pleasure, riding with different groups. Beware though- don’t presume they all know what their doing, expect random manoeuvres and slowing without warning.

jules.b
    Free Member

I’m having a go for the first time this year – like a few other posters I live less than 30 miles from Dunwich so I’ve an easy ride back afterwards, after a little alcohol-assisted kip on the beach. See you all there!

DavidB
    Free Member

Bugger I’ve got a bit one that day.

No problem, it all kicks off 8pm’ish 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Big as in 384 miles that day.

DavidB
    Free Member

Still no problem, have a go at Wilko’s record 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

In the diary for next year.

dst
    Free Member

I,m in. with a group of 6 – all ‘first timers’ coming down from Peterborough.

2 are cycling to Norwich for the train back to PB the others are getting a train from halesworth to PB via Ipswich.

cotic853
    Free Member

Third time for me on SS Roadrat. Like other posters I’d recommend the DD. Its a long ride but sociable ride and not too challenging, apart from the small hills v tired legs near the end

DavidB
    Free Member

Could be a bit epic for me this year as I’m cycling to the start from Swindon on Saturday, please let there be a westerly.

IanW
    Free Member

Forecast is for a nice south westerly but also a high possibility of some rain.

damitamit
    Free Member

Wow, that was a very wet ride!

So who went along? I was the indian chap with a carradice and flashing fairy lights on my helmet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Dunwich Dynamo roll-call’ is closed to new replies.