• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dunwich Dynamo 2016
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Did anyone else do this?

It was a gorgeous evening and there seemed to me to be more riders than usual.

Lots of big pelotons stretched across the road. I actually felt (a bit) sorry for drivers unable to pass. There’s no way of forcing riders to stick to two abreast on busy roads but it mightn’t have been a bad idea in places.

Most drivers were very, very patient. I drafted one woman in a Megane for several miles because she was unable to pass the long group of cyclists safely. I thanked her for her patience. But some drivers attempted overtakes which left them “stranded” on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic.

I don’t know what the answer is.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s a problem with all big events unfortunately. Splitting up start times is one idea but people will. Stretch out in a long line with the same result.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Yeah. The DD has no official start time and people set off when they feel like it between 7ish and 9ish.

I suppose drivers will have to accept that, for one evening a year, they’re not going to be able to boot it along those roads.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve done it. Few times but by the time you are in rural Essex it is usually ok. Bigger issue on wiggle ride IMO.

acsevens

this was my 4th year. definitely the most people I’ve seen on the ride, but also the least aggro with motorists – attitude was generally very friendly. I don’t think there is much you can do to regulate it, as you say, only one evening a year so live and let live.

Standard of riding also seemed much better and the couple of big clubs who join the ride appeared to be on best behaviour.

such a fantastic event. will definitely go back to my vintage steel bike next year though, I’m feeling the after effects of 100 miles on my caad 10…

robcolliver
    Free Member

I went.

Did it on the TD bike as I don’t have a roadbike….. it was the most overspecc’d bike there I think. It was great fun, but does remind me how reckless many roadies are – they seem surprised when a car approaches and have to shout out ‘car!’.
    They also ride with no food or water as I saw the same trains of matching-coloured riders stopped at every pub or garage.

Apart from that, it was a chuckle and good to do a fun ride with some good pals.

We got to 92 miles before the sun came up. Needed to be on the beach at 114, so we blew it.

It would have almost have been quicker to ride back as there was a road accident on the way back to central London.

crazy-legs

I did it too, on my SS road bike.

Done it loads of times before, even right back when it was a paid-for event run audax-style by Mosquito BIkes.

This was far and away the busiest I’ve ever seen it. We left quite late, a mate couldn’t get there til nearly 9 so actually it was very quiet around the pub when we headed out but we soon started overtaking riders – hundreds if not thousands of them. I saw a pic on Twitter from a bunch that must have left about 8pm, the road was absolutely solid with riders.

I remember years ago getting loads of abuse and aggro, bottles thrown at us etc from the Essex Boys Racer Chav brigade but this time they were all really positive as they sat around their slammed Corsas in a Pizza Hut car park.

Sudbury was heaving so we rode on a few miles to a pub we knew was open and had a nice burger and a coffee there. Got to the beach about 4.30am, the cafe was fairly quiet so we had our food very quickly, watched the sunrise, slept on the beach for a bit then set off to ride home. Followed the outward route to Framlingham, still hundreds of riders coming in and then we decided that the wind which had nicely blown us out to the coast was a proper pain in the arse going SW so changed our plans and diverted to Cambridge (a mere 81 miles from Dunwich) to get the train. Got lost a couple of times, got very warm, ran out of water, had to beg at a house for top up but we made it and then raided M&S in Cambridge Station for supplies. Total distance (inc riding up to the start and then home from Kings Cross) was 215 miles. The last 2 miles run into Cambridge into the headwind was an absolute bitch, I was nearly crying at the thought of all that food and drink and a comfy train but me pedalling squares and going nowhere! The very final hill in South London was also done at about 4mph…

I’ll be honest, that was too busy for comfort and it’ll probably be a while before I consider doing the ride again. Riding standards were variable – some people really didn’t have a clue. Far and away the best were Maldon & District CC who had a really nice group going, lovely chilled out ride, immaculate 2-abreast formation. Dulwich Paragon were good too.

Sandwich

Dulwich Paragon were good too.

Hallelujah, they have had a very bad rep the previous couple of years. So much so that they had to have words with their membership after last years ride. (At least one person forced off the road by their peloton and a broken bone from the resulting spill).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I rode about 40 miles with the Maillot Noir peloton, until they stopped at the pub. A very well-organised two-abreast group. We all pushed on nicely 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It would have almost have been quicker to ride back as there was a road accident on the way back to central London.

I think it was around Dagenham/Barking where there was a road closure which brought all the traffic in the area to a standstill. It took our coach 5 hours and 50 minutes to get from Dunwich to Canada Water.

If we’re doing it again next year we are going to make our own transport arrangements. The coach trip back was more grueling than the bike ride!

wilburt
    Free Member

I live on the route and having ridden it several times couldn’t be arsed going into London just to ride past my house so did the last bit then went for a tour around Suffolk.

It was a very good year, perfect tailwind and pleasant temperature, that was reflected in the numbers, the beach was still packed at 10am Sunday with more riders still coming in.

fatmax

No cyclorave at a derelict pub like http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk then hebdencyclist? 😉
    Sounds a massive volume of people but sounds great.
    Hoping to do it next year.

TiRed

A few of my club mates rode there and back. Last minute holiday arrangements meant I was away. Next year…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dunwich Dynamo 2016’ is closed to new replies.