Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dunkeld to Pitlochry via Griffin woods (Craigvinean), anyone tried it?
  • frazchops
    Free Member

Quite specific but has any tried to link this up whilst avoiding tarmac?

Thanks in advance! (maybe)

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Does it have to be that side of the A9? Can help you to the east, but would be interested in a route that side too.
    Otherwise NCN 77 and 7 look quiet, but not exactly off road.

bearGrease

Long way is Hermitage, Rumbling Bridge, into woods around Loch Kennard and down to Grandtully Castle. Along the railway to Grandtully itself. Up by the golf course and down the other side to the Festival Theatre (you will be riding up some great singletrack and down forest road). It’s not exactly direct.

frazchops
    Free Member

Does it have to be that side of the A9? Can help you to the east, but would be interested in a route that side too.
    Otherwise NCN 77 and 7 look quiet, but not exactly off road.

Not necessarily, could drop into Pitlochry and then up and over the RRW. What were you thinking?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Well essentially this:

dunkeld to moulin

The drop down from Moulin isn’t complicated!

There;s a couple of deer fences to climb after loch broom, and a muddy heathery slog shortly after that, but a good 90% plus is rideable.

Think Beargrease’s way gets you to the RRW if that’s where you are heading next?

birky
    Free Member

I’ve done most of the route Beargrease suggested and also done Twicewithchips’ route which would be my choice, only naff bit is around Loch Broom but it’s not that long.

stevious

I’ve ridden twicewithchips route. You can avoid Loch Broom (and you should, it’s not fun to circumnavigate on a bike) by following the route shown. There is a trail there, just not on the OS map (or at least not on 1-50k) and not totally obvious on the ground. You’ll spot it if you’re looking for it and it’s a really good surface under the growth.

bearGrease

Well the OP did ask for a route via Griffin Woods….

bearGrease

… and the railway track at Grandtully is the RRW.

frazchops
    Free Member

Well both routes are helpful, just planing something for the better weather.

Ta muchly 😛

bearGrease

😀

Roll on that mythical better weather!

frazchops
    Free Member

Well by better I mean not raining for 22 hours straight like it was in Fortingall last week.

Probably need an emergency pack raft, sounds like good justification for a purchase.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dunkeld to Pitlochry via Griffin woods (Craigvinean), anyone tried it?’ is closed to new replies.