• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dunkeld riders; recomend me a route.
  • aldo56
    Free Member

Never been to Dunkeld before, could someone with a bit of local knowledge recomend a good first time route?

Not looking for something super gnar (I hear the DH trails are quite brutal) but we’re all happy enough on the easier trails at; the Golfie, Aberfoyle, Inners, Dunoon etc.

Will be using Trailforks to navigate. I’ll be on a hardtail if that makes any difference!

Cheers!

tjagain

Loch Ordie / loch oisinneach circuit is the only one I know. More of a nice day out in the country than a gnarfest tho. A few nice bits of singletrack on it. I have not done it for a few years. I’ll do you a marked up map if its of interest

mactheknife

Pink Floyd and rake and ruin. Both pretty easy to find. Good intro and nothing too gnarly. Then across the road up to the mast and you have Slater’s. Bit more techy but very very good.

aldo56
    Free Member

tjagain – Cheers for that. We’d more be looking at the #enduro trails around the town rather than an XC loop.

legend
    Free Member

And if Slaters* works for you, then the Rudder is a step up from that then the Crows Nest a step up again

*The Mast on Trailforks

Shackleton

The descent through the crags is excellent (north of town), the quarry trail is good as are the other trails on the west of the A9. They will be pretty shitty at the moment though from the weather and don’t stand up to riding traffic in the wet. Stracathro will give you a good idea if you insist on riding there.

The trails to the east of town (rudder, etc) are better drained.

If you need a wet weather/conditions
    alternative comrie is only 30 minutes down the road and laggan with its off piste stuff is only ~1 hour.

aldo56
    Free Member

Thanks all, that sounds like a good starter!

shipton47
    Free Member

Shackleton would you say avoid this weekend with the weather? As up there and was thinking having ride of the trails to consider for the Enduro next year.

poah
    Free Member

Would probably stick to the dunkeld side of the river up the mast and over to athol hill. The Birman hill and hermitage side will be a bit boggY

Shackleton

As Poah says. We’ve just had 4 days of solid rain!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

The bike shop up there sells maps with some local trails for A couple of £s

BoardinBob

Hermitage side never dries out but the main DH lines are rocky so hold up well

Bat cave, Commit or Cry, Bambi’s Farts and the other stuff on that side will be very wet and best avoided

On the Birnam hill side, Pink Floyd may be a bit slick in the middle. Rake and Ruin doesn’t suffer in the wet.

Stuff on Newtyle holds up well in poor weather, though the roots will be twice as lethal

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Also intetrsted in checking these out soon!

poah
    Free Member

I’m heading up on sunday

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dunkeld riders; recomend me a route.’ is closed to new replies.