Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • dune on tonight 9pm on horror channel
  • racefaceec90

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwPTIEWTYEI[/video] haven’t seen it for years.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Prepare yourself for the most wooden acting since Thunderbirds 😛

z1ppy

As I love the book. I alway think it a good attempt, maybe far from great but load of other book adaptation are far worse

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

LoCo
    Free Member

Ace, watched it last week though 😀

honeybadgerx

Very much a departure from the novels, but I always enjoy it, you’ve just got to take it for what it is, got me into reading the book as a kid.

markrh
    Free Member

Its crap.

butcher

I’ve never seen it before, or read the book, but the trailer looks like Star Wars, filmed as a school project.

zinaru
    Free Member

if only jodorowsky’s version had been made. i’d definitely find the 14 hours to watch that…

shermer75
    Free Member

The spice must flow! 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

He who controls the spice controls the universe.

shermer75
    Free Member

The machines on Ix are moar aero than the ones on Richese

jimw
    Free Member

It is the only film I have fallen asleep watching in a cinema.
    It’s on my worst 10 films of all time list

LoCo
    Free Member

It is the only film I have fallen asleep watching in a cinema.
    It’s on my worst 10 films of all time list

How’d you know? you only saw part of it..

😉

jimw
    Free Member

I thought I would revisit it a few years ago, and watched it all the way through, just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was.

Apart from Sean Young, of course.

LoCo
    Free Member

😆

jimw
    Free Member

For balance, I’d recommend the first novel to read. I first read it as a 14 year old in the late 70’s, still have a copy on my bookshelf.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes the book is worth a read, I do agree the film is an acquired taste/guilty pleasure to some degree, even Lynch disowned it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29

Northwind

It is incredibly bad. Quite enjoyed the book but it was still ludicrous. Yeah we’ll use the nuclear bombs to blow up a mountain. Yeah the worms will be able to immediately charge through it, why not.

LoCo
    Free Member

Where as the bit where they can blow people up by shouting at them is plausible? 😛

slimjim78
    Free Member

Are the naysayers the same muppets that got dizzy over The Martian recently?

That would explain much about the in house sci-fi gang.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Northwind

LoCo – Member

Where as the bit where they can blow people up by shouting at them is plausible?

Pff, my mum can do that.

kimbers

still a brilliant film, with some flaws, Lynch had at least a 3+hours of film, but the studio cut it and it’s since been lost, which is why Lynch s name, is scrubbed out in the intro
    Theres been a few directors cuts with extra bits in , but most of the cut material was just binned by the studio

The books are brilliant

Rubber_Buccaneer

One of my favourite books as a kid so I read the whole series. They get progressively worse.

I like bits of the film (especially Baron Harkonnen) but as usual it just can’t cover a fraction of the story.

lemonysam
    Free Member

They get progressively very rapidly worse.

Rubber_Buccaneer

OK, it’s a rapid progression 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Lynch had at least a 3+hours of film, but the studio cut it and it’s since been lost, which is why Lynch s name, is scrubbed out in the intro

That’s not the case tho. The 4 hour initial edit was cut down by Lynch and de Laurentiis together and they added extra elements to try to get it to make sense again after the studio wanted it to be closer to 2 hours. He disowned the TV version and refuses to discuss it these days or even talk to the studio about a director’s cut version of it.

Same result tho. Lynch hates it. But he’s partly to blame for what it is now.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Visually it is still absolutely stunning. There have rarely been as large scaled and creative sets before or certainly since. The costumes and colouring are also superb.
    Atmospherically, it’s darker than Donnie’s dark place.

It was a probably a shame that they cut as much of the original story as they did (almost inevitable if you don’t want a LOTR type yawn-fest), but as a film I think it stills stands up in its own right. I came to it as a kid, prior to reading the book which isn’t usually my favourite way to do it – but I think that following a mild obsession with Twin Peaks in the early 90’s, seeing Agent Cooper running around in an energy force-field and killing Sting was all I needed to cement a love for the film.

I certainly wouldn’t let ‘nukes’ spoil a fantastical story line – in such a universe (space-bending blobs, genetic witches, longevity spice mining, giant guard-worms), I struggle to see how using high energy weapons could be enough to put you off. Pretend ‘nuke’ means something else if it really bothers you?

To me, it was a visual treat, that a masterful Lynch seemingly injected a lot of his energy into – and created something that went beyond the short crowd-pleasing ‘battlestar gallactica’ type fest that the Studio were probably hoping for. In pulling the reigns in, the overall impact of the movie was muddied. Possibly.

It’s not something I can watch yearly, but every 5 years or so I find it a treat on many levels.
    Slightly rose tinted from my perspective? Also possible.

Great sci-fi on a photographic level if nothing else.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

I struggle to see how using high energy weapons could be enough to put you off

It’s a key plot point and it makes ****-all sense and contradicts all the setup. That annoys me, in SF your bullshit has to be consistent with its own logic, you can write in loopholes but you can’t just ignore it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Do you mean from a ‘why don’t they just use Nukes to destroy whomever/whatever they wan’t from Square 1’ angle?

If so, I think that’s possibly true for every war/battle based sci-fi ever written/produced.

Own a death-star, own the universe.

I see what you mean about if coming a little bit out of leftfield though.

IdleJon

Visually it is still absolutely stunning. There have rarely been as large scaled and creative sets before or certainly since. The costumes and colouring are also superb.

It certainly looks expensive. The problem for me though is that it looks like a pastiche of the 30s Flash Gordon/Buck series. With special effects only slightly better. This was made in the early 80s after some films with great FX but Dune looks ropey in the extreme at points. There’s even one shot of a shuttle wobbling along so badly you can almost see the strings.

As for the rest of it…

Great cast, great actors involved. Were they told to ham it up, because the acting is dreadful? Terrible dialogue, as well.

The book is great but the film is really bad. Boring. Over-complicated. Long but with scenes that lead nowhere. It looked dated in ’84, I’m watching it as I type this and it’s not aged well.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

Do you mean from a ‘why don’t they just use Nukes to destroy whomever/whatever they wan’t from Square 1’ angle?

Nah, I think he actually covers that, there’s a total stigma against using them against humans and guaranteed retaliation- MAD basically. So he can’t use them against people, but could get away with blowing up a mountain. It’s justthat it doesn’t work, you can’t blow up a mountain range into cold sand with atomic weapons (it has to be sand, because the worms only work in sand).

He could have come up with some other handwavey way to do it, a different weapon “Suddenly Maud Dib remembered his father’s other legacy, that big pile of turning-mountains-into-sand machines bullshit that they’d never come up with a use for and had put into the self-storage place”. Or some silly approach like blowing up a mountain that lets a load of sand pour down like a burst dam, or something. These days you’d probably use nano-bullshit to eat the mountains.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This is as close as I got to watching Dune. I still have the 12″

[video]https://youtu.be/5lgQp3OTiNw[/video]

Earl
    Free Member

‘Fear is the mind killer’

Still say that to myself all the time.

rocketman
    Free Member

Great film it is what it is

Any film in which Sting gets it gets my vote

kimbers

the studio wanted another star wars, they even had merchandising lined up (this was b4 adults snapped them up as collectors items!)

my mate had a baron harkonen and sting figure!!

IdleJon

^^ that’s about as good as the acting gets in the film.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Baron Harkonnen looks like the average brit just arrived in Morzine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I like the Dune movie. Its certainly a guilty pleasure, since its an epic bit of cheese.

I love the dark sci-fi Gothic, 30’s flash Gordon look. There’s very little like it and it makes a change from gritty industrial realist sci-fi, or hyper sleek, shiny sci-fi looks that are all too common.

It’s moderately faithful to the book and feels epic. I think its alot better than the TV series remake, which felt small and lacked depth, despite having a largish budget and some significant actors in it. I can’t honestly see how anyone could accuse it of being over complicated, they did pretty well to pare down the political subtexts of the book to fit it into the film.

I realise I will be in the minority in this.

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s just that it doesn’t work, you can’t blow up a mountain range into cold sand with atomic weapons (it has to be sand, because the worms only work in sand).

Ah, now you’re assuming these are good old fashioned ‘earth nukes’, aren’t you?..
    Classic error. These are ‘Atriedes nukleus bombs’ that utilise nano-style technology that our puny minds are currently unable to conceive.
    Ever so useful for creating silica from basalt, etc.

That’s the beauty of Sci-fi, you can make whatever you want out of it as is all make believe.

Did someone say scientology?..

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘dune on tonight 9pm on horror channel’ is closed to new replies.