Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Dumyat. Another cracking descent gone….
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seen a pic a mate has sent me there, it’s too sad to post tbh. Looks like a fire road now.

Sad days, sad days indeed.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

🙁

mactheknife

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

legend
    Free Member

Just been looking at the same photo 🙁 absolutely gutted. Just hoping that they don’t do something drastic to try and narrow down the wide open sections up top

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apparently it’s part of the Beauly denny remediation.

andy4d

^^ were the pylons that went up last year/year before not for that? Is this more? Is there not a wind farm or something going up further back, maybe to do with that?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but it looks like this is some kind of good will agreement, giving something back so to speak.

Fuds.

paul4stones

Which bit?

legend
    Free Member

From the road to the top

Johnbot
    Free Member

Get the pic up, canny be that bad…

dufusdip
    Free Member

Going to the top and was apparently a condition of the new power line. Stark contrast to the proposal in 2012 (Proposed Supplementary Guidance SG27 Protecting Special Landscapes)

Additional metalled roads/tracks, infrastructure and built structures could
    compromise the perception of remoteness on Sheriff Muir and the open hills.
    Potential to improve visitor and parking facilities, if this is kept low-key and close to existing roads.

paul4stones

All the way to the little car park where the path continues to the reservoir?
    What about the bit down to the woods out the back of the university?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2017-09-05_10-47-05 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Paul4stones, I really hope they leave that section.

paul4stones

Yes I see. 🙁 indeed.

mrtickle
    Free Member

That’s such a shame. I was up there on Saturday night for the first time in ages and had forgotten how good the descent is was

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’m furious about this. Going to go ride the remains good bits tomorrow before they are buried under tons of ugly hardcore.

legend
    Free Member

Worth pinging an email off to the local MSP? Probably futile I know but…..

Ambrose

Heavy rain will soon help to return some fun with any luck.

Similar things have happenned here in South Wales in the past. Given time, and a lot of weather, things eventually revert to an equilibrium.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Worth pinging an email off to the local MSP? Probably futile I know but…..<

To complain about path improvements?

Yup, utterly futile.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Look at the positives, the strava times will fall.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Is that the section used for the hill race? That’s going to somewhat ruin it if so.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Assholes how dare they try to make the countryside more accessible to others!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The very same section KTC….

a11y

Pics taken last night 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YsQbq4]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (1)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YbcMY9]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (2)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YsQbrg]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (3)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YsQbsP]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (4)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XRLxVS]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (5)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YsQbqV]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (6)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XetZwV]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (7)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YsQbnD]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (8)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XetZuF]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (9)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XRLxRU]2017-09-05 RIP Dumyat (10)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

nickhit3
    Free Member

take heart, the worlds best DH riders have to deal with the same thing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That last image is horrific A11y.

BoardinBob

Looks like the bits below the fence?

Are they going all the way to the summit? That’s a horrific piece of vandalism if they do 😕

Beagleboy

I’ve been walking and riding up and down there for decades and have witnessed, like many others, the way that the trail has seriously degraded over the last 10 years. The ‘sad and boggy’ bit is in a particularly hideous state due to misguided attempts at ‘trail maintenance’ and folk riding there when it’s way too wet.

I rarely ride the main route now, as on most nice dry days, the path is really busy with walkers and a new breed of Strava knobs who appear hell bent on leathering it down the hill, scattering everyone before them while they film themselves on their GoPros. The fact is, the place is so close to Stirling and so accessible, that something needed to be done before the entire hillside ended up in the Forth.

So fair play, it’ll channel the walkers onto the main route, giving them a nice path to walk on, (they were here first). It’ll give the Strava knobs and GoPro knobs something robust to practise their skidding skills and obnoxious entitled fanny skills on, whilst tarring everyone else in the mountain biking community with their brush, (something they excel at). And finally, it’ll give large parts of the hill a rest and chance to recover.

I’m actually kind of interested to see what the path will be like in a few years time, once it’s bedded in and had a good few winters working at it. Might tempt me back onto the main line for the odd night ride, rather than the alternatives that I currently use! 🙂

BoardinBob

So you’ve been walking up and down it for decades, but it’s everyone else that’s to blame for the erosion?

jimmy

Heavy rain will soon help to return some fun with any luck.

Kind of my thoughts too, although only in salvaging something from this wreckage. My first time out on Dumyat was one of the best days on a bike I’ve had – such a nice, challenging trail with an almost alpine feel on a good day. If they don’t smash down through the woods, and I can’t see that happening, it’ll still be worth riding (though maybe not the journey) and it will develop new lines and interest. I hope.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bob, I’m actually astounded it took 28 posts for someone to post such moral outrage! Utter drivel, granted I’ve not been riding there as long as you, but I’ve never seen any issues with walkers or the large amount of hill runners, as there is good visibility on most of the hill and lots of line choices.

There will be plenty of close interaction now though, well done you.

poah
    Free Member

don’t recognise the bits that are getting smoothed out.

a11y

Beagleboy – Member
    I’ve been walking and riding up and down there for decades and have witnessed, like many others, the way that the trail has seriously degraded over the last 10 years. The ‘sad and boggy’ bit is in a particularly hideous state due to misguided attempts at ‘trail maintenance’ and folk riding there when it’s way too wet.

I rarely ride the main route now, as on most nice dry days, the path is really busy with walkers and a new breed of Strava knobs who appear hell bent on leathering it down the hill, scattering everyone before them while they film themselves on their GoPros. The fact is, the place is so close to Stirling and so accessible, that something needed to be done before the entire hillside ended up in the Forth.

So fair play, it’ll channel the walkers onto the main route, giving them a nice path to walk on, (they were here first). It’ll give the Strava knobs and GoPro knobs something robust to practise their skidding skills and obnoxious entitled fanny skills on, whilst tarring everyone else in the mountain biking community with their brush, (something they excel at). And finally, it’ll give large parts of the hill a rest and chance to recover.

I’m actually kind of interested to see what the path will be like in a few years time, once it’s bedded in and had a good few winters working at it. Might tempt me back onto the main line for the odd night ride, rather than the alternatives that I currently use!
    Utter nonsense. There’s the odd Strava muppet I’m sure, but in all the times I’ve ridden Dumyat (and that’s 4 in the past week) I’ve never once seen an altercation between a walker and biker. All very respectful.

a11y

poah – Member
    don’t recognise the bits that are getting smoothed out.

It’s the first 400-500m of trail up from the access gate from the road, the top trail which veers up left just from the start. Doesn’t quite reach the plateau before the bog yet, but they’ve only just started Monday or yesterday and moved some distance already.

iainc

I’ve never once seen an altercation between a walker and biker. All very respectful.

there was a belter of a Go-Pro vid on Scotland MTB FB page a month or so back, where the poster got healthy abuse for terrorising kids on his way down 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Dumyat (and that’s 4 in the past week)

Careful now, you’ll feel the full moral wrath from mortally offended of Stirling (unless he’s away eroding other parts of the hill, which is okay)…

Iain, A11y did rightly say, the odd muppet, that’s not really an indication of how riding on the hill is day to day.

iainc

Greg – I have ridden it twice in last 6 weeks or so and while it was very busy, with both riders and walkers, both times, behaviour was fine (apart from one of our GMMBC ‘guest riders’ , but that’s another story … 8) )

a11y

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    That last image is horrific A11y.

Because of the rider/bike or the trail destruction? 😆

Beagleboy

But I have Ally. just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. You should talk to my cat. She buries her head into the corner of the cat box whenever we take her to the vet, but the vet still finds her! 😉

Bob, I’m very aware of the erosion I cause when I’m on any trail. That’s why I tend to either avoid the most easily damaged trails in poor conditions, (I pretty much avoid Dumyat unless it’s very dry or frozen solid), or walk, rather than ride through sensitive bits that I come across to minimise my impact. Don’t blame me, it’s that wishy-washy tree hugging Ecology degree that I blame.

Not four weeks ago I witnessed a group of about five riders coming down Dumyat on a busy Sunday afternoon with the lead rider fully kitted up in full face helmet, pads and Gopro. I was climbing up the rocky bit, just past the fence as they came down full tilt. I saw a wee kid land on his arse as he jumped out of the way of the lead bike when the guy locked his rear wheel on the gravelly bit before the drop. No harm done, but the family were well pissed off and I got the brunt of it. 😳

Also watched a Gopro video a month or two back,(do we still call them that?), of a guy descending the Yat that was posted on a facebook group that I subscribe to. In that video you can actually see a walker in a red jacket falling over as he scrabbles to get out of the way of the descending rider.

All I’m saying is that there are some right dicks out on bikes on that hillside at times and maybe this’ll separate them from the folk that do respect each others enjoyment.

Just saying like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Dumyat. Another cracking descent gone….’ is closed to new replies.