Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Dumyat – an update:
  • StirlingCrispin

Update on Dumyat from SPEN.
    The planned work has been scaled back considerably and hopefully the work will be now done in a sensitive manner that I know the majority of bikers want (no guarantees but hopefully the ecological monitoring and site management will reduce the chance of Macgowan’s resculpting the hillside). It’s been a long journey with lots of varying views to consider, not all of them sympathetic to bikers or current hill users. However, I am pleased with the outcome and hopefully we have set a precedent for future hill path work.
    Crispin

“Ahead of works at the site recommencing on w/b 8th January I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed for your time and effort in helping the group to devise an amended approach to the works. As you will be aware this has not been an easy task and has involved many competing views and opinions. The proposed approach now seeks to address the worst areas of erosion whilst leaving the large sections of the hill (those areas where the damage is less dynamic in nature) in its current state. Works on Dumyat and Cocksburn are due to commence next week with a programed duration of 8 to 10 weeks. We have made the decision to work on both sites simultaneously in order to reduce the timescales involved and limit the duration of the works. During this time every effort will be made to minimise disruption on site, however please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. For safety reasons some areas will be inaccessible during the works, alternative routes will be provided and appropriate signage and/or marshalling will be in situ, your assistance and understanding in this regard is greatly appreciated.

All works on site are to be completed in line with the Construction Procedures Handbook which was devised and agreed for the entire Beauly Denny project. An independent ECoW (Ecological Clerk of Works) along with SPEN’s own environmental team will be on site throughout. Appropriate surveys (including GWDTE and Ecology) have been undertaken and now refreshed ahead of works recommencing. In addition myself and the contractors will be meeting with Scottish Wildlife Trust on site before works commence. I have also liaised with Stirling Council to ensure regular meetings on site take place throughout the duration of works (relevant statutory consultees such as SEPA and SNH will be appraised of progress and invited to any meetings).

I would agree entirely with Crispins sentiment, we have come a long way in a relatively short period of time. We are now in a new year and starting with a fresh approach, one which has been reached through constructive dialogue and shared understanding of the diverse range of views at hand. Myself and RC will be on hand to answer any questions throughout the works. To complete this in as short a timescale as possible and with the minimum of disruption we do ask that appropriate space and consideration is given to our operatives. Comprehensive measures have been put in place to limit disruption to users of the hill and to ensure environmental standards are maintained. I would ask that the works are judged on their completion and that the constructive process we have all invested so much time and effort in is respected.

Finally we have been working hard to put measures in place which will address the long term maintenance of the hill. I am pleased to say that The Outdoor Access Trust have provisionally agreed to work with us in this regard. We are currently examining opportunities to set up a volunteer network and run some training days which will exhibit some of the techniques for dealing with braiding or other damage. These techniques will be appropriate on areas of the hill where no works are now proposed. Once we have reached a final agreement with OATS, with the land owner and with Stirling Council I will be back in touch to outline the proposals in more detail. This represents a great opportunity to unite behind a common goal and I hope will be a great example of what can be achieved by working together.

Thanks again for your time and for your input. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with myself or with Richard should you wish to discuss or should you wish any clarification.

Kind Regards,
    GD”

matt_outandabout

Good work all, let’s see what next week brings… I may pop up a couple of lunchtimes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Crispin.

rossburton
    Free Member

<clapping emoji that the forum strips>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Dumyat – an update:’ is closed to new replies.