Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • dumping films midway through…
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Last film we dumped was Hellboy 2.

If I know a film is going to be crap I can deal with that, I have watched some rubbish in my time (having Stealth narrated by a drunk Ukranian made it so much better)

Netflix is pitiful for films, last time I checked Prime wasn’t much better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    Best film of the year ?

Really ?

Well, to some maybe.
    Well I did actually watch it….

As with everything a lot comes down to taste but to say it’s a crap film is a bit much.

newrobdob
    Free Member

The last enjoyable film I watched was (not kidding) The Equalizer with Denzel Washington,

I saw that on TV recently and really enjoyed it. Don’t normally like Denzel but I thought he really suited it.

I stopped watching films based on reviews or friends recommendations years ago. I read a description and try it out, sometimes you can get something you love but has been panned by the critics. I did this with The Cobbler – I do like Adam Sandler but not all his films so when my wife and I were searching through Netflix (I think) it came up and we wondered why we hadn’t heard of it. Watched it and really enjoyed it, I checked the reviews a week later and found it had been universally panned and was a complete flop!

Watched some 80’s films again recently, including Desperately Seeking Susan, which I had never seen before and thought that was ace!

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe you lot should go to the cinema to watch films more often. Hardly ever walk out as I’ve paid! Or maybe used my free Lloyds vouchers. Crap I’ve endured includes Ghost in the Shell, Lego Batman, Transformers: Last (please let it be the last!) Knight, Alien: Dross. Never would’ve finished those on TV! The Revenant was awesome at the cinema.

Last film I walked out on was ‘Cake’. That was particularly bad as I booked online to see Inherent Vice and they changed the film.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, crap I’ll rescind and replace with “boring”.
    HTHs.

jimjam
    Free Member

Mainstream films predictable and boring shocker. Most big films are just paint by numbers plots with marketing razzle dazzle. The more money involved, the more corporate interference, the safer and more predictable they become.

This is compounded by the contrarian attitudes towards legitimate film critics – “Mark Kermode is a ****, it’s a great film because I enjoyed it”.

shermer75
    Free Member

Films definitely get more predictable as you get older for obvious reasons. And, as has been pointed out above, Hollywood only makes pretty much the same movie everytime they get quite unwatchable after a while!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And, as has been pointed out above, Hollywood only makes pretty much the same movie everytime they get quite unwatchable after a while!!

To be honest I couldn’t disagree more.
    Films like Drive, Nocturnal Animals etc have been a breath of fresh air, properly well made stuff, Logan was exceptional and crossed genres, T2 was great and not formuleric, Arrival carried me along with it and didn’t make me guess ahead as the story unfolded. Rogue One chucked out the convention for the ending, Deadpool just did things differently very well and got us away from the 12A drudge of crap.
    Fantastic beasts brought a whole new world to life and extended a great story. Stuff like Fences and Moonlight are telling amazing stories really well. There is a load of great cinema out there, some of it challenges you to think some of it just lets you flow along with it – there is some great stuff that just needs watching 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Well said Mike.

Film4 has a crime “season” on this week – some fab looking films showing. Mainstream actors like Matthew Mcconaughey, Tom Hardy, Ben Kingsley.. but def not mainstream films – The Drop, Killer Joe (tonight 10:45, do not miss!), Sexy Beast, Good People… (plus a couple of duffs, but hey-ho)

jimjam
    Free Member

mikewsmith

To be honest I couldn’t disagree more.
    Films like Drive, Nocturnal Animals etc have been a breath of fresh air, properly well made stuff, Logan was exceptional and crossed genres, T2 was great and not formuleric, Arrival carried me along with it and didn’t make me guess ahead as the story unfolded. Rogue One chucked out the convention for the ending, Deadpool just did things differently very well and got us away from the 12A drudge of crap.
    Fantastic beasts brought a whole new world to life and extended a great story. Stuff like Fences and Moonlight are telling amazing stories really well. There is a load of great cinema out there, some of it challenges you to think some of it just lets you flow along with it – there is some great stuff that just needs watching

I agree with the point you’ve made but some of the examples you’ve chosen to make it are……..terrible 😈

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Want to tell my why they are terrible?

jimjam
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Not really, but in a nutshell Drive, T2 and even Nocturnal Animals are relatively small films. I think the malaise that is afflicting Hollywood and viewer disenfranchisment is really more about big films. And there are so many smaller independent/semi independent films which are much better.

Rogue One doesn’t have an original thought in it’s head, even the downer ending seemed an homage to Empire Strikes Back. Deadpool is just a crap film that gets credit for having swearing and violence, great that it’s true to the source material in that respect but it’s otherwise a completely generic, formulaic film and predictable film. Logan is a much better film, but again all it’s doing is respecting the source material and following a roadmap to credibility laid out by Deapool. It doesn’t cross genres in any meaningful way either that I can see.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t agree entirely with mike’s films, but it was a good general point.*

Deadpool is probably my favourite film of the last 10 years. Pure entertainment – plus a lot of originality and a great script.. Dead wrong to say it’s crap. Didn’t bother with Rogue 1 as knew I wouldn’t like it.

*Pretty much what jimjam said, in reverse 😳

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s probably worth considering that we’re in the age of $400 million films, and most of the big franchises / tent-pole films are 175 – 300 million. Even a James Bond films costs $250 million.

Googling “average hollywood film budget” it seems that the average cost of a major studio release is $100 million. In that context $5 million or even $10 million seems like nothing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fantastic beasts was not really fantastic. Someone thought ‘I know, let’s do something with lots of weird animals in it’ and then tried to come up with a plot to fit them in. Felt very contrived. And the plot was a bit non-existent really. Ooer look at all the scrapes we get into to keep all this a secret.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I couldn’t “dump” a film watching on TV really, unless it was something I’d drifted into to see what it was like. Watching films I make an effort, set everything up, crank up the surround system and lights off. Can’t be eating food either. I don’t casually watch films as they’re an investment of time and need my attention.

Noting that I don’t generally watch “no attention span required” films, though that rules out most modern films.

It’s one reason I don’t watch much now, despite being a big film fan at one point. I often don’t want to invest/waste time watching a film, and less so if I probably won’t like it, as I will watch it to the end. So instead I just don’t even start. Plus I usually have other stuff I need to do. I’ll just fill a bit of time around meals with a half hour or hour at most TV show.

Cougar

Fantastic beasts was not really fantastic.

To be fair though, you’re probably beyond the primary target audience by some 30 years.

I rather enjoyed it myself, I thought it was fun and nicely put together.

DezB
    Free Member

Fantastic Beasts was not really fantastic

Oh gawd – completely forgot I’d seen that. Goes in the ‘terrible children’s films you’ve had to endure’ thread. Would definitely have turned off the tv before the end of that rubbish, even the kid hated it.

IdleJon

Maybe you lot should go to the cinema to watch films more often. Hardly ever walk out as I’ve paid! Or maybe used my free Lloyds vouchers. Crap I’ve endured includes Ghost in the Shell, Lego Batman, Transformers: Last (please let it be the last!) Knight, Alien: Dross.

Your film choice suggests that you are 15?

DezB
    Free Member

14 actually.

retro83
    Free Member

The first Lego movie was the most recent for me. Utter, utter crap, needlessly voiced by smug celebs and I say that as somebody who watched and enjoyed Dinocroc vs Supergator (i.e. my standards are very very low).

Gilles

the lego movie was awesome

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

OTOH the Lego Scooby Doo episode was superb. And only 20 minutes long.

jimjam
    Free Member

retro83

The first Lego movie was the most recent for me. Utter, utter crap,

I thought it was very good. Well written, visually unique and enough in jokes and pop culture references to entertain adults without alienating it’s main audience – kids. I enjoyed Lego Batman ever more though, as did my kids. Genuinely funny with tons of in-jokes for Batman geeks and visually spectacular (although by the end I did want some more variety in the colour palette.

needlessly voiced by smug celebs and I say that as somebody who watched and enjoyed Dinocroc vs Supergator (i.e. my standards are very very low).

I think you’ll find that with animated films voice actors are far from needless, they’re pretty much essential. It also helps to have people with great comedic timing like Chris Pratt and Will Ferrell as there’s a disconnect between the actor’s delivery and the viewer. As an added bonus their star power helps drive the promotion of the film.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

A lot of this is subjective and half of the above is obviously awful and the other half disliked I thought was fab.

I’m going through my “top rated” films I’ve yet to see and recently couldnt get to the end of Mulholland Drive; what the hell am I missing with this cos it was junk – and I am a sucker for art house stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

paulneenan76 – Member
    A lot of this is subjective and half of the above is obviously awful and the other half disliked I thought was fab.

Again there is the subjective – I liked it/didn’t like it
    Then there is the technical/quality/artistic part of is it a well made good film with good acting, story, cinematography etc. A great quote from a classical musician was he may not like some more modern music but he can appreciate a very well put together track that is technically good etc.

retro83
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    I think you’ll find that with animated films voice actors are far from needless, they’re pretty much essential. It also helps to have people with great comedic timing like Chris Pratt and Will Ferrell as there’s a disconnect between the actor’s delivery and the viewer. As an added bonus their star power helps drive the promotion of the film.

To an extent, yes but mainly I think it’s far more likely to have been “we have a mediocre film, how can we make sure it sells” as with the film “Shark Tale”.

jimjam
    Free Member

retro83 – Member

To an extent, yes but mainly I think it’s far more likely to have been “we have a mediocre film, how can we make sure it sells” as with the film “Shark Tale”.

With animated films they’ll develop the script, cast the actors, record the dialogue, then use the dialogue as reference for the animation as well as using the actors’ features and expressions as a basis for the look of the characters.

You can’t retrospectively cast big names in order to improve a bad film.

retro83
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    With animated films they’ll develop the script, cast the actors, record the dialogue, then use the dialogue as reference for the animation as well as using the actors’ features and expressions as a basis for the look of the characters.

You can’t retrospectively cast big names in order to improve a bad film.

Okay then, let me rephrase: “we have a mediocre script, how can we make sure it sells”.

That 97% of people on RT seem to rate it is puzzling.

I love Lego, I love comedy, I’ve enjoyed a lot of kids films but I genuinely thought it was one of the most boring films I’ve seen in a long long time. Not just that but the pacing was also awful.

jimjam
    Free Member

retro83

Okay then, let me rephrase: “we have a mediocre script, how can we make sure it sells”.

So you have a $100,000 script that’s mediocre so you are going to spend 10,20,30 million dollars on paying super stars to fix that problem rather than spend another $100,000 on script revisions or a better script?

Sharks Tale is a wretched film but it probably failed for a myriad of reasons, death by a thousand cuts in terms of compromises and errors of judgement as opposed to “let’s try to make a hit with a shit script and some famous names”.

I think whatever criticism you were trying to make regarding the Lego Movie having needlessly famous voice actors isn’t really valid.

I genuinely thought it was one of the most boring films I’ve seen in a long long time. Not just that but the pacing was also awful.

What was wrong with the pacing? Why do you think it was boring?

retro83
    Free Member

Well obviously you don’t think it’s valid, you liked the film! 😆

The pacing was ludicrously fast, the film felt like an hour and half long episode of family guy on fast forward. Gag, gag, gag, cultural reference, gag, , gag, gag, lego reference, gag, gag, movie reference, gag, gag, movie reference, gag, gag.

badllama
    Free Member

Ultraviolet
    Was the last one I walk away from the cinema, never mind the TV lol

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘dumping films midway through…’ is closed to new replies.