Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dummies guide to Garmins….
  • Legoman
    Free Member

I’m looking for a GPS to do the following:
    – turn-by-turn guidance with UK maps (for use on and off road)
    – upload routes
    – link to strava
    – link to cadence sensor
    – Euro maps would be good too, but I guess these would be at extra cost

Would a Garmin 800 fit the bill (been offered a used one)? If not, what do I need?

Sorry for the lazy research, but this kind of thing either bores me stupid or frustrates me to the point of physically destroying inanimate objects!

Thanks in advance.

petrieboy

Garmin 800 will do all of that. I’m assuming you mean upload to strava? You can set garmin connect to do that for you. The 800 won’t to the live strava stuff, just after the fact. Look at openstreetmap for free and excellent mapping.

wheelie

I find this brilliant on the road.

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

I tend to use openmtbmaps off road.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Legoman
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got 800 and 1000

1000 is better, bigger screen and comes with UK and Euro mapping which is updated for free. I put my OS map SSD card in for off road. Also automatically uploads to garmin.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Garmin 800 would be fine but bare in mind Garmin don’t do repairs on it anymore if anything goes wrong with it. In or out of warranty. This happened to mine this year but Garmin offered me a deal on the 1000.The bigger screen does make navigating easier and the options for Garmin doing the navigating rather than following a set route are nice (ie road ride, touring which include gravel paths and mtb which avoid roads) are nice. The battery problem can be an issue though if you are riding longer than six hours on the 1000.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Roter Stern what was the deal? 800 has started to play up again but have previously relied on replacements directly from Garmin.

RoterStern
    Free Member

This was Garmin Germany but don’t think it would be different in the UK. They offered me the 1000 for 299 eur.

Drac

Garmin 810 are in Aldi this Thursday

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

The battery problem can be an issue though if you are riding longer than six hours on the 1000.

just done the Sarn Helen using 1000 battery lasts 10 hours plus. If your getting less Id suggest altering the setup.

There isn’t a battery problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dummies guide to Garmins….’ is closed to new replies.