• This topic has 34 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Dummies guide to build a log store for £35
  • bearnecessities

With the prices for buying new and looking at (and sketching out) designs they were all ending up a bit spendy, even as raw materials. I also wanted a shallow one.

This one is based on 6ft 100×19 boards and a few bits of 2×2. (all tanalised).

I did have some pieces of thicker decking laying about which I’ve used for the middle shelf and although it’s now braced (of sorts) at the back, I’ll need to brace the front on Monday. It’s not moving anywhere mind you. 🙂

It’s done using complete 6ft lengths and 7ft of feather edge for the roof, so minimal faffing with cutting – it was together within a couple of hours.

Anyhow, it’s not the prettiest, but someone may find it useful as a design.

*Awaits to have it torn apart by someone!*

Drac

Pallets are free but that doesn’t look too bad.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mc Mooter scale score of 1 due to lack of actual wood 😉

Good effort

I have used pallets they will eventually fail

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is the structure strong enough to put a shelf in?? Maybe a diagonal brace across the back?

Drac

I have used pallets they will eventually fail

Almost 10 years and still going strong.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Better than what I got …must be the dry sunny climate where you live 😉

Drac

Could be.

bearnecessities

Is the structure strong enough to put a shelf in??

Yes 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

looks smart. I’m jst using pallets placed along my fence, stack 4′ wide and 4′ high with a slight slope to the top, tarp placed over it yesterday and pallets on top to keep in place. 1.5 cord for next winter is a 13′ long stack.

this years 2 cord is in an old 8’6″x6’6″ shed with windows and doors removed. It was getting well past it and not secure enogh to store the mower and garden tools so I repurposed it)

spent today shoving 8m of 5″ 904 grade stainless tubing up my chimney. hearth pad work tomorrow….and hook the stove up next week. Can’t wait.

senorj

Cover it in chicken wire and pop it on top of your shed.
    Log store & pigeon coop?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Good effort! I was lazy and bought one of these which is pretty good for the money.

https://www.buydirect4u.co.uk/product/garden-outdoor/garden-outdoor-garden-storage/bentley-wooden-large-log-store/

Comes flat packed so only took about half an hour to put together.

jaylittle
    Free Member

As people have said pallets are free. Built one on a much smaller scale 3 years ago for the cost of £12. Bought the roofing from gumtree. Will post pictures tomorrow.

Wally

The real issue is the volume you will get through. I reckon you will just about get to Christmas if you burnt that store from full slowly.

richardkennerley

I was given a crate used for a delivery of roof tiles, turned it on its side, popped some roof felt on top and hey presto. Doesn’t look as nice as the OP’s lovely effort, but it works.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pallets 2 high and also for base. Stakes beaten into ground to support. They came from the wood. Timber fellers leave that size! 10 gallon drum of creosote helps and 10 years later its still up. Corrugated zink which was scrounged for the lid.
    Main store is 12x 12 and 5 6 feet tall. Secondary is 12×6 and 5 feet tall. Immediate use by house is 4×8 and 6 feet tall and spare one currently holding 2017/18 wood is 8×4 and 5 foot tall. All full to the point where even the basket by the fire is overflowing. Only cost ever is chainsaw fuel. pity I have to burn it.
    None of mine are as tidy as those the pics though. Hope the wife doesn’t see.

timber

Bit like rk, I used a potato crate on its side at one place. Sold it on when moved to a place with enough outbuildings.
    Now have a shanty town arrangement running down the fence.

bearnecessities

Aaaaand, the roof leaks. Considerably.

richmars

Cheap bit of chip board and roofing felt.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ducksback paint should reduce that.

martinhutch

Just stick some felt on it.

alibongo001

Hey Rich

Nice effort – I have a spare roll of roof felt if you want some to help waterproof it?

bearnecessities

That’s good of you mate, but just got one from down the allotment.

210×60 piece of ply would be useful 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you don’t mind how it looks, pound land do a 2mx1m blue tarp with brass eyelets. No need for ply then.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Our log store cost me a roll of roofing felt and the time to collect an old shed off Freecycle , and cut it up into something log-store-shaped.
    We split it down the middle with the headboard off an old bed and it easily sores enough logs for 2 winters use.
    it’s about 5x8ft and nearly tall enough to stand up in.
    But it doesn’t look posh. 🙂

bearnecessities

Ta. Upon drinking some tea and chin scratching, have decided on a steeper pitch with more overlap on feather edge. As well as more bracing, sectioning and waterproofing.

The thread title may become something of a hoax.

Edit: Just realised that last picture makes it look like I have a very ornate bird table.

tinribz
    Free Member

Are we posting our own pics now? A felted version:

And here’s its smaller sibling because I got a bit carried away:

bearnecessities

Shonky roof now fixed with much more pitch.

[/URL]

Then got totally carried away throwing more timber at it. Maybe it was a little flimsy for something that’s going to take a load of weight, plus using the fence as a rear to the store was a crap idea.

Total cost £47, which I’m still pretty pleased with and was a doddle to build.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Good effort, As long as the wind can flow through and around it you’ll be sorted.

I found some old Anderson Shelter sections that I think may make a good log store. I have enough for three humps. Just need a minute to put them all together

glasgowdan
    Free Member

This has cost me £95 and two hours of time. Just needs another hour to finish off. Quick, easy, big and strong. I’ve 4 bulk bags of logs to stack and it’ll take them all plus hopefully some of the untold piles of unprocessed trunks and branches I’ve got dotted around the garden.

thenorthwind

McMoonter you’re missing a trick if you don’t fashion a head and a tail and make a “Log Ness Monster” out of them. I know you can do it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McMoonter you’re missing a trick if you don’t fashion a head and a tail and make a “Log Ness Monster” out of them. I know you can do it.

Bookmarks for an update

qwerty
    Free Member

Bish bosh:

[/url]2016-04-24_08-47-19 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]2016-04-24_08-47-52 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]2016-04-24_08-48-14 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

But in true STW fashion of all the gear & no idea…. we don’t (yet) have a wood burner (but do have bonfires). All pallets gained for free whilst tidying up a local derelict industrial estate.

thenorthwind

Bookmarks for an update[/quote]

😀

bearnecessities

Wally – Member
    The real issue is the volume you will get through. I reckon you will just about get to Christmas if you burnt that store from full slowly.

This man was correct.

Already planning next, considerably bigger attempt. I’ll always have a soft spot for my first though 🙂

DrP

If we’re on a ‘show us your store’….
    Here’s my third, and most decent one:

Made with leftover rafters and the cladding from the dormer build. I had to buy some OSB for the roof ,and have a mate delivering a 2.5m strip of felt for that, then it’s done!

In the back you can see a ‘hastily assembled’ one that is basically a single pallet with a dodgy ‘side and roof’ combo made of another pallet. I want to transfer all those logs into the new one and then burn it!

DrP

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Dummies guide to build a log store for £35’ is closed to new replies.