Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dumfries residents – local knowledge required
  • whimbrel
    Free Member

As part of a possible medium term, hopefully early, retirement plan I’m thinking of buying a house in Dumfries and moving up there from Cumbria. The difference in house prices helping my future pension pot.
    We have looked a some new houses being built on land between Edinburgh Rd and Lockerbie Rd. It’s a big estate and 3 different builders are putting up houses.
    We’ve been up to look around and there is some sort of ‘nature reserve’ in the middle of the houses and someone mentioned a protected wetland area for newts.

As a southern softie, my overriding concern, above the implications of independence, are midges.
    Will I be plagued by midges when drinking beer on the patio?
    Anything else I should know about the area?

(Been thinking about this for a while, love the area, but only started thinking about implications of independence this week. Just assumed that everything would be the same whichever way the vote went. Might have to read that other thread now). 🙂

Thanks in advance

properbikeco
    Free Member

midges everywhere here, just need to avoid standing water and well sheltered areas.

besides, I can think of many nicer places to stay rather than a new build estate in dumfries

somafunk

I stay in Dumfries and Galloway and know of the new build estate you mention, to be perfectly frank why on earth anyone would consider buying a lego house on a new build estate, especially in Dumfries is confusing to my little mind – the houses will be shite, the area in question is shite, and dumfries as a town is shite – look further afield to the outlying villages/small towns such as moniaive, perhaps moffat, Kirkcudbright (my home town, biased?), down wigtownshire way perhaps?…i know of a stunning house with land down wigtonshire way here, if that’s too much then have a look at others in the area as there is any amount of decent houses/farm conversions/cottages in the countryside or suchlike but for gawks sake do not buy a new build plastic house on a new estate in town as you will only regret it, and i can guarantee you will regret it..

It’s a stunningly beautiful area to live in, desolate hills and countryside/shoreline to explore where you can venture/ride all day without seeing a single other person and yeah, it can seem a bit shut off from the outside world but that’s why i like it.

PS : Nature reserve?, protected wetland area for newts? – don’t be fooled by their bullshit.

jodafett

Kirkcudbright

You sure about that, I know some of the locals! Mr Benauld for one 😉

somafunk

Who’s Mr Benauld?…should i know him? i’ve stayed here all my life apart from a few moves in my childhood (80’s) up to Argyll.

Trekster

I live not too far from the new builds. IMO those houses are not good vfm. Had a look around a demo house a while ago when we considered moving for the same reasons as you. Probably for the same reasons as you ie new build v some amateur renovated cottage we looked at new builds.
    Disagree with somafunk re Dumfries, it is however a viewpoint people from the Stewartry area hold 😉 it’s a historical thing! There is as he suggests lots of better houses to be had away from that development site which sits on a bog!!
    If you do go for an older house make sure to pay for the best building survey possible

(Been thinking about this for a while, love the area, but only started thinking about implications of independence this week. Just assumed that everything would be the same whichever way the vote went. Might have to read that other thread now).

Wee Eck has “promised” we will still have free bus pass(@ 60), free prescriptions, eye tests and various other stuff. Time will tell 🙄
    What other interests do you have?

jodafett

Rodge!

whimbrel
    Free Member

That’s a ‘thumbs down’ on new builds then. 🙂
    The house in the link is way out of our price range.
    Granted Dumfries may not be the most picturesque town, but it’s convenient to the places we like – Mabie, Dalbeattie, the coast in Rockliffe area, etc., and the house is reasonably priced, only needs to stay up until we get wheeled off to the care home, and we can visit all the nice places you mention. 😉

EDIT: Not disagreeing with you Trekster. Cross posts.
    The houses ‘seem’ reasonably priced compared to where I’m living now.

Trekster

Granted Dumfries may not be the most picturesque town,

No worse than many other small towns of similar size I would say.
    PS. Quite a few mature, nearly and retired riders in the area 😆

EDIT: Not disagreeing with you Trekster. Cross posts.
    The houses ‘seem’ reasonably priced compared to where I’m living now.

As a regular Cumbrian(Ambleside on Wed) visitor and with 2 kids, 5 grand kids living in Carlisle I had guessed that 😉

whimbrel
    Free Member

Outside biking, it’s the great outdoors really, although I’m struggling with the Cumbrian (down)hills due to ageing knees.

Trekster

Outside biking, it’s the great outdoors really, although I’m struggling with the Cumbrian (down)hills due to ageing knees.

Me too! Iron Keld played havoc with them on Wed….
    Loads of outdoor stuff around here…

http://www.welcometoscotland.com/things-to-do/attractions/mountains-hills/dumfries-galloway

somafunk

Jodafett : Doh!!, forget bout good old rodge……he’s being riding and doing up some pretty esoteric old race/track bikes lately, including a moser time trial bike.

Trekster : I don’t know bout any rivalry thing as I’m speaking from a personal viewpoint but there’s helluva nicer places and similar priced to stay in Dumfries & Galloway than the town itself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dumfries residents – local knowledge required’ is closed to new replies.