Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dumb Question – Tubeless Rims- Non Tubeless Tyres
  • barca
    Free Member

Feel free to point and laugh but is there a tyre out there that is not nessi-celery* a tubeless tyre but can be run as tubeless on tubeless specific rims without cutting up BMX inner tubes and the like? Does that even make sense?

* I've never learnt how to spell necessarily properly.

grumm
    Free Member

I have Bontrager Big Earl non-tubeless tyres on my Stan's Flow rim with no rimstrip/bmx tube etc

13thfloormonk

I've been running a variety of standard tyres on my 819 UST rims. they work fine but will need some sealant. ADvantages work well, but are difficult to seal as the bead is quite baggy. I wrapped the rim in several layers of gaffer tape to make the tyre tighter, then it seats using a track pump and is trouble free.

The Bontrager tyres are great, I've got a Jones ACX 2.35, it has a UST style bead (very tight) but normal carcass. this means the ease of fitting of a UST tyre, but not the weight.

barca
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to give my Continental Speed Kings a go.

BigJohn

I've had a couple of non-tubeless tyres on my Bonty TLR rim but I couldn't get my mud mads to seal so I stuck a tube in.

Eldrik
    Free Member

Just Riding Along has a list of normal, non-UST tyres by manufacturer and whether they recommend that brand for tubeless use or not, at:

http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=529

stevomcd
    Free Member

Aren't the Specialized 2bliss tyres intended to be used this way? (Not UST, but can be used on UST rims in combination with sealant?)

BigJohn

Ahh – Mud Mads are IRC so that's why they didn't work. Glad it wasn't just my incompetence.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Basically the key difference between ust and non ust tyres is that ust tyres have a coating on the inside to make them air tight. There are other differences but this is the main one. Using sealant such as stans no tubes overcomes the porous issue of non ust tyres. It doesn't mean that any non ust tyre can then be used tubeless though; some work better than others.

BigJohn

Bontrager are "tubeless ready" in that they are not air tight without sealant.

However, they do have the really important thing – a bead that will seal.

That JRA link above is a really useful guide to which non-tubeless tyres work.

barca
    Free Member

Well, it's not quite ghetto, it's more like – and I quote from an earlier thread on here "middle class attitudes on working class salaries".
    My Continental Mountain Kings on Mavic Crossmax Endura Rims, three lengths of insulating tape, 500ml og JSA wheel milk in each and track pumped up to 50psi.
    They seem to be holding up so far.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dumb Question – Tubeless Rims- Non Tubeless Tyres’ is closed to new replies.