Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dumb MTB Maintenance Question No.17635 – Removing the Crank Arm
  • bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Mine takes an 8mm allen key, am I okay to remove it with just the allen key or is there some sort of ultra niche key I'll need too?

Am keen to avoid walking into Primera with a part disassembled bike and sheepishly asking them to sort it out for me.

Have watched the videos on 'Expert Villages', but they all seem to be a front for Park Tools/Pedros etc

warpcow
    Free Member

What kind of crank is it? I'd guess an 'older' sealed BB variety. If so, you'll need one of those Park/Pedros tools probably.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

what cranks are they? might be easier with a crank puller/extractor/whatever you want to call it!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

It's a Truvativ Blaize 2.0 (Powerspline variant). 2010 bike, but not as to what sort of BB.

cynic-al
    Free Member

http://imagesa.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/394/Truvativ_Blaze_ISIS_Triple_Chainset__7555394.jpg

You'll need a crank puller for isis cranks and maybe a spanner as well as your 8mm AK.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Actually…might be able to get around it.

Cutting a long story short, I've broken my bash ring and want to fit a new one. If I just remove the driveside pedal and use a 5mm allen key to remove the current bash ring, is there even any need to remove the whole crank arm?

I apologise for the Play School nature of this question!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I bodged this for a mate. I used the allen key and a Big nut which fitted into the outer cap : I drilled a hole bigger than the allen key in the nut then threaded the nut over the allen key and installed into the crank arm. Used a spanner to keep the nut stationary so the bolt in the crank arm undoes and pulls off the crank. if that makes sense? 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP – yes you can replace the bashring without removing the crank but it may be a PITA to hold the backs of teh bolts – there is a £3 tool if a screwdriver does not work.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

foxyrider – Member
    I bodged this for a mate. I used the allen key and a Big nut which fitted into the outer cap – drilled a hole bigger than the allen key then threaded the nut over the allen key and installed into the crank arm. Used a spanner to keep the nut stationary so the bolt in the crank arm undoes and pulls off the crank. if that makes sense?

Just about!

Man, I hate going into bike shops unless in a purchasing capacity. I always get the feeling that everyone else in there can strip and reassemble a bike in pitch darkness.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Cheers cynic_al. Will give this a go (or a bash!) after work.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Eyes Closed actually Bravo 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dumb MTB Maintenance Question No.17635 – Removing the Crank Arm’ is closed to new replies.