Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dulux Paintpod – any experiences?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Facing the reality that I could theoretically paint my flat using this contraption for at least a third of the price I've been quoted by the pros, and seeing as these guys want cash at end of job and *mas is not far away, I'm thinking I really should MTFU and do the job myself.

Two probs: limited colour range (no pure white) and …… something else which has just escaped me.

Anyway. Has anyone used this before and would they recommend if so?

Oh that's it – they only offer matt emulsion. No soft sheen or silk or gloss or whatever the wipe-clean stuff is.
    (Got a child with a penchant for forgetting to use cutlery then putting hands on walls – not deliberate, I know, but **** annoying)

However, it seems like it might offer to remove some of the drudgery of DIY decorating.

the-muffin-man

+

All you need – its not hard!!!

Just cannot see the point of the Paintpod – just a useless contraption that will end up in landfill.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Pretty cool piece of kit – recently done half the house (most rooms 3m sq+) walls and ceiling – save loads of time not having to run up and down ladders to refill the rollers – the paint pod paint is good stuff too good coverage & very little splatter

MrNutt
    Free Member

I saw one explode nearly completely demolishing a church and ripping the roof off a nearby orphanage, it was beautiful.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Friend of a friend designed it.

DrP

Mr Nutt's lies make baby jesus cry…

DrP

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Muffin man – I see your point, and agree that a brush would work, but it's the time involved. I want the job over with as quickly as possible.

Then, I'll keep the thing in the loft until next time, and the time after that. All I'll do is clean out a couple of empty pots to refill with whatever the paint of choice is next time (in the event that the product is discontinued due to the gimmicky nature of it).

Thataway, I'll postpone the landfill option as long as possible. I'm for resisting the throwaway culture where I can.

oooOOOooo – but does it work? Is he rich beyond his wildest dreams now?

robdob
    Free Member

Until very recently I was a manager in one of the large DIY retailers. We sold loads of these and got some very good reports about them. I know the feeling that people may think they are a useless gadget but we really thought they were good. Follow the instructions, only use the specified paint and you'll be ok. Don't forget you need to do the edges too (I hate that bit!).
    And apparantely they really do clean themselves properly.

There should be a pure brilliant White, there was when I last looked. Might be out of stock?

Only downsides, as you say, is the limited colour range, and that the paint is expensive.

the-muffin-man

Sorry Mike – I'm being a bit of an arse!

As I see it the time consuming bits of decorating are the fiddly bits around windows and doors which you still have to do with a brush. IME the main walls take no time at all to do even with a conventional roller.

I've just got a dislike for what I see as solutions like this that are looking for a problem!! 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

I'm with the muffin man-so to speak!

skidartist
    Free Member

I'd agree, its the edges that are the ball ache, not the the big, flat expanses, with decent paint rollering takes no time at all, so the paint pod is only saving time (if it saves time) on the quick part of the job.

adamdv8
    Free Member

reccomended. clean job, no spray whatsoever, really quick, really does clean itself. as you say, limited colour range but improving.

i'm sure it won't be long before someone works out the best 'formula' for using some other paints so you wont have that restriction.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I'm halfway through decorating the lounge. I'm using rollers and brushes.

As others have said the bits that take the time are preparation and painting the edges. Painting large flats bits of wall is quick and easy.

Solution in search of a problem.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Okay.
    I'm liking the responses right now.

Homebase are currently doing a 'bogo half-price' offer on the pots of paint [=10 litres for £45], and I need 35-40 litres.
    Two of my quotes commented that the woodwork didn't need done, so there's some workload lifted.
    I need a good excuse to tidy the flat up and rouse myself from the recent rediscovery of the single life (ie. lazy-assed bachelor, sitting around in pants, drinking beer)

You know what?
    I'm doing it.

Thanks lads.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I was rather cynical about Paint Pod as well, until I borrowed one. We're painting every room in our house, and are about halfway through. The walls are painted a rather sludgy green colour that would be nice if there was more natural light, but looks dingy in a Victorian terrace. Typically, each room needs three coats before it covers properly. So in the past six months or so, I've done a lot of painting. At the end of a couple of days of using the paint pod, I bought one of my own.
    A couple of observations:

1) Yes, rollers are easy, and fairly quick. With high walls and ceilings especially, it's noticable how much quicker the paint pod is. There's no bending down to reload a roller, no splatter or spray, you just keep rolling.

2) There's very little paint wastage.

3) You can lend the pod to friends and family, and you can sell or pass it on. We're ruined / junked plenty of conventional rollers, trays and brushes so far, but this thing seems to be made to last.

I'll be repainting a flat of ours in a few months, once the house is finished, so I'm fairly sure the Pod will get thoroughly used. I think it would have been better for Dulux to make a more robust, rentable version, however – they are a bit bulky.

HTH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Those that don't like bending down or getting down off a ladder to refil a roller – there is an easy solution – roller goes on a pole about 5 ft long, tray on floor. suddenly you can reach the whole room from the floor and you dont have to bend to refil – its far quicker than using a short handled roller.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I take it you've not tried one, then, TJ. 😀

Reminds me of the Father Ted sketch where Mrs Doyle is offered a machine that takes the misery out of making tea. "Some of us *loike* the misery of making tea, Father."

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bent – no – I see no need. I find a conventional roller quick and easy, I don't want to be locked in that system, I want teh freedom to buy and use any paints.

Do you see professionals using them? No – they use the roller on a pole

JulianA
    Free Member

Absolute swine of a thing:

PaintTunes took ages to download and wouldn't install properly
    Couldn't synch PaintTunes with PaintPod
    Movies displayed in odd colours
    Ears got vey messy trying to listen to my PaintPod

Going back to Apple for sure.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dulux Paintpod – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.