Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dullness – cabin bagage recommendations please
  • geoffj

Might treat myself to new carry on bag.
    Maximum size is 56x45x25

Had a quick look at Wenger and Victorinox offerings, but nothing is jumping out – what you got?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Decathlon do a cracking one for about £20 – picked a second one up the other day.

zap
    Free Member

Have a look at the Lowe Alpine TT carry on 40, Quite versatile, very light, It has hideaway rucksack straps, they also do a wheeled version.

geoffj

Like the look of the Lowe alpine one. Will check the decathlon site for a shufty
    Thanks

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

My Tumi has lasted 10 years of constant travelling so although it was expensive worth it in the long run. I would venture to suggest its the default option for regular travellers

br
    Free Member

I use a rucksack type with handle/wheels, covers all the bases.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My choice of carry on? Large Timbuk2 courier bag.

If it’s got wheels, it’s not carry on luggage. 🙂

Well, at least it isn’t if you’re flying with a proper airline! I get far too wound up by people getting on to a BA/Cathay/Singapore/Qantas type flight thinking they’re on a budget-shonkorama airline. All rushing to the gate, then trying to cram massive bags in the overhead lockers rather than checking them in. Grrrrr.

You’ve all got a seat already assigned! You’ve all got a healthy checked-in baggage allowance! And as to the rushing to the gate to board? I’ll be strolling past in the priority boarding aisle anyway…!

Basically, if you can’t or won’t carry it, I don’t think it should be allowed as carry on! 🙂

Moses

If you use Ryanair, try to get a thinnner carry-on, as the *&*& have a max thickness of 20cm. Same with some other budget airlines.
    TKMaxx often have cheapies on offer, much reduced.

Ignore Flashy.
    If you’re only travelling for a day or so, then a good carry-on can save you an hour or so wait for baggage collection, whether budget or full-service airline. On the full-service you can often take two bags on, easily enough for a very long weekend

geoffj

Flashy – on a serious note, I have looked at the Timbuk 2, but I’m concerned about how secure / waterproof the lid flap is. It looks as though it could gape and allow rain / thieving mits in quite quickly. Could you ask your butler if this is a serious concern please?

Ta

geoffj

If you use Ryanair

Whilst I’m happy to use EasyJet, I have to draw the line somewhere. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only if you overfill it geoff

ivantate
    Free Member

Depends what you are doing but samsonite have a cabin bag sized waterproofed rucksack trolley. Full coverage of all bases.

I did 120k air miles last year and use a 40quid trolley, Revelation or similar. which does me for a week but come up at 9 kilos with my work laptop inside. Still got about 2-3years left in it.

Now as I bike to the office (which I have to fly to) I use a wenger laptop rucksack which can carry a few shirts and.all the other travel/work gumph.

geoffj

Terry – I suspected as much.

Ivantate – I’ll have a look at the samsonite ones, but I’m not sold on the wheels TBH

The Lowe Alpine does look nice

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Geoff, as above, if overfilled it will leak, but I’ve used mine in all weathers (from Moscow winter to Singapore downpours and all points in between!) Very, very pleased with it.

Ivantate – 120k? About 175 here, I think. Luckily, haven’t flown anywhere since October! Already got Australia, and a few US trips lined up for next year.

an hour or so wait for baggage

Where are you flying? I spend a lot of time doing one night stops around Europe (This year has included Barcelona (lots!), Madrid, Moscow, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Glasgow, Munich, Paris, Stockholm etc, etc) and my experience is never that! OK, on some long hauls I’ve had long(ish) waits for baggage, but never more than about half an hour! Then again, I do have a nice “priority” tag on my bags, so that might help!

grantway
    Free Member

I use one from Antler
    You can never buy the exact dimensions from the good quality makers
    Also Samsonit also do good ones.

But don’t forgot its not going in the hold
    when choosing

andybach
    Free Member

I’ve got a 40 litre berghaus wheeled case – without rucksack straps – I think it’s their Optimus series. It’s been really good used it almost constantly for last 18months of travelling – it meets every airlines carry in specification I have encountered .

It wheels well – some of the cheap bags just don’t – it’s v hard to tell what will wheel and what won’t until you are running for a late connection.

I prefer 2 rather 4 wheels – I think they are easier to run with and the wheels are skate board style – which seem much tougher say when you drag it on rough ground or down steps.

It’s worth checking how you can balance a lap top bag or similar on the top .

Rich
    Free Member

Sub Zero cases are good.

Really lightweight, and the handles don’t take up half the available space like some cases.

TooTall
    Free Member

Why on earth do people see the need for wheeled carry on? It is probably not much more than you’d put on your back for a ride and you are not exactly carrying it far. I just use a regular rucksack or courier bag that I can use at the other end without it looking like carry on luggage.

DrJ

Thing with a wheeled carry-on is that it fits the overhead locker space perfectly so no wasted corners, and it is rigid so protects stuff inside (especially from idiots who arrive late with too much luggage and try to cram it all in to the locker, squashing your bag). Also rectangular luggage is better to pack shirts etc. I have a Rimowa one, which was expensive, but these things even up in the long run – “buy cheap, buy twice” and all that stuff.

Pyro

I’ve got a cheapy Jansport 40l holdall type thing that’s bang on the size limits, cost me about £15 on Amazon and has been absolutely perfect for about 3 years.

Edit – it’s the one that’s isted as the “20 inch Dufflepak”.

TooTall
    Free Member

it fits the overhead locker space perfectly so no wasted corners

Different overheads are different sizes.

rectangular luggage is better to pack shirts etc

Sorted in any bag anywhere. I’ve used soft bags for carry on and hold luggage for the last 17 years of business travel and never had an issue, hence my bafflement.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah i love watching folk with their perfectly sized hard luggage have to check them in the hold when they dont fit in the overhead on the flying pencils – long hauls are fine but jumping to norway the overhead on SAS flights is tiny.

DrJ

@TT – if you’re going to split hairs, I’m going to piss off 🙂
    1. Most overheads on the planes I fly Economy on are about the same size. If it’s Business, the point is moot as there’s so much room.
    2. I have those Eagle Creek shirt things and still prefer my clothes in a rigid case.

@TR
    – The little SAS plane bins are too small for any reasonable baggage, but checking a case at the door is no problem, especially as it’s rigid, as you get it straight away when you arrive – in some ways it’s the best of all worlds.

geoffj

Cheers guys – more to think about. Hopefully, my days of business travel on small planes is over. I will miss the beach landings on Barra and Benbecula international’s take on air side catering!

I think that Lowe alpine TT is still looking favourite – I just need to find one in a shop to check out the build quality and pocket details.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dullness – cabin bagage recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.