Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dull pedal question – Shimano SPD "Trail" pedals on a road bike?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Decided to ditch the road pedals and go back to MTB SPD pedals and shoes on my road bike.

I was going to get either these:
    Shimano A520 touring pedal
    or a bit more bling – Shimano Ultegra Touring Pedal

Then I thought the SPD “trail” pedals might be better, the weight difference is no consequence to me, it’s less than 50g but the 2 sided operation adds to the function.
    [/url]Trail M530

Or again a bit more bling – Trail XT M785

Surely these “trail” pedals must be giving as much contact and avoiding the hot spots that can occur with normal spuds?

The M530 look a bit of a bargain. Anyone use them on the road?

druidh
    Free Member

I use Crank Bros Candys for touring – same principle; I want a “walkable” sole and a pedal which provides more support than a normal small MTB cleat/pedal interface in order to avoid any hot-spots.

The A520s are very good too. On a road bike, you are clipping-in/unclipping a lot less, so the single-sidedness isn’t too much bother.

samuri
    Free Member

I only Ever use 520’s on all my bikes.
    Regularly do 100 mile+ rides on different bikes and go touring quite a bit.

Never had a problem. Good shoes make way more difference that pedal contact patch IMO.

transapp
    Free Member

I’m confused as to how, with the same cleat, you’re gaining any more contact area anyway. Unless there is an interferance fit with the ole of the shoe (which I don’t think there is) surely it’s the same?

druidh
    Free Member

transapp – Member
    I’m confused as to how, with the same cleat, you’re gaining any more contact area anyway. Unless there is an interferance fit with the ole of the shoe (which I don’t think there is)

There is.

Edit: There can be. Depends on the sole of the shoe. If I was to show you a photo of my Candys you’d see where the CB logo has been worn away by contact with my shoe.

wallop

I have the A520s on my road bike, they are super comfortable and mysteriously got rid of a bit of a knee problem I had. Recommended.

transapp
    Free Member

I agree with the candys, I think that’s what a make rides with and the cleat / cage seems very much at the same level. From what I can see, the shimano trail pedals aren’t so not sure what they do.

lunge

See I have the A520’s and gave started to get hotspots even though I have carbon soled on my shoes.

I’ve given up and thrown some money in a pair of road shoes and pedals.

burnie
    Free Member

Unfortunately you will have to find a way to hide them from roadies. They are likely to try to kill you!

transapp
    Free Member

OK, just checked the bike radar review, and they reckon the ‘trail’ pedal are better for getting into (they don’t ‘role’ from under the shoe) but only offer any additional support of you have a very flexible shoe. For road work I can’t see anu benifit at all (and for me, none for off road either as I can’t remeber when I last rolled an spd unles I was kicking mud out of it!

jonba
    Free Member

I ride with standard shimano spds on my cross bike and have done 75+ on it. I wouldn’t assume you’d have problems as I certainly didn’t. ALso plenty of people ride 12h, 24h and other long races on mtb kit so it is ok for long rides.

There are single sided road pedals that take mtb cleats from exustar I think. (or maybe xpedo).

kcr
    Free Member

I have always just used the standard SPDs (without external cage) for road touring and commuting, without any problems. I think a good stiff cycling shoe sole is probably more critical to comfort than a big platform, and is the most effective way of maximising your contact area.

huggis
    Free Member

Is the contact / support area greater on MTB or Road pedals.

cynic-al
    Free Member

road

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Crankbros here on mtb road and commute. Works great. Recessed cleats are just sensible. Never have hot spots. Cheaper to I use same shoes.

huggis
    Free Member

Hmm…going to expensive to migrate to crank bros on all 4 bikes…

meehaja
    Free Member

I use regular SPD’s on all my bikes, keeps things simple! I’ve been looking at those A520’s for a while though… could be tempted!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dull pedal question – Shimano SPD "Trail" pedals on a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.