Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dull IT question – Why Micro B USB instead of Mini B?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

I really don’t like Micro B USB connectors. Compared to Mini B, they are fiddly and feel flimsy. It is not obvious which way up they go.

I realise that Mini B plug is a little bit higher than the Micro plug but is that the only reason they are used on far more bits of small kit?

Surely the mm or so doesn’t really matter?

I know this is a dull question but it pisses me off every time I plug my phone charger in.

chambord
    Free Member

Don’t worry type C will be here soon and solve all the worlds problems

nemesis
    Free Member

The mm or so makes a big difference when you’re trying to sell the latest super slim mobile.

Also, the EU is pushing standardisation to micro usb to avoid people needing multiple chargers (which then tend to be left on wasting more power).

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/will-eu-ruling-force-apple-change-iphone-6-charger-1440273

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Get a wireless charger, job done, as long as your phone is the right way up. :p

bigyinn
    Free Member

and if you’re phone cant be charged wirelessly, what then?

CountZero

The mm or so makes a big difference when you’re trying to sell the latest super slim mobile.

Also, the EU is pushing standardisation to micro usb to avoid people needing multiple chargers (which then tend to be left on wasting more power).

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/will-eu-ruling-force-apple-change-iphone-6-charger-1440273
    I keep reading this, and I fail to understand how it affects Apple, or anyone else, seeing as how they can all use exactly the same wall-wart chargers, or computer or TV, because all devices have cables with a standard USB plug on the end. The only difference is the plug on the other end, which I’m pretty certain isn’t covered by the legislation.
    USB C will mean that there will, at last, be a common cable as well as plug that can be eventually used across multiple devices.
    The only reason people have multiple chargers is because they have multiple devices that all use cables that plug into USB ports; how could you manage to charge four or five devices overnight with only one charger?
    It’s interesting that USB C looks remarkably like Apple’s Lightning connector…

geoffj

I agree with the OP. Apple’s double sided lightning cable is MUCH better.

nickjb
    Free Member

…and it only took them 12 different connectors to get there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dull IT question – Why Micro B USB instead of Mini B?’ is closed to new replies.