Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dull I know….buying a TV….not had one for ages and don't know where to start
  • brack
    Free Member

After many many years of a ferral lifestyle I have finally renovated a house and wouldn't mind a TV.

HD,LED, LCD, Plasma??? Cable ready??

I have no blinkin idea what to go for…all I know is that it shouldn't break the bank , isn't the sole focus point of the room and that it needs to be black…lol

Ive decided that 32 inch is a good size….does anyone know of any good deals around at the momment ?

Cheers

satsoma
    Free Member

Go to John Lewis, great tv's and a free 5 year guarantee. They'll do a price match too…

alexpalacefan

Got an old CRT, 26" in sheff. Great picture, free to good home.

e-mail in profile

A

M6TTF
    Free Member

So many to choose it's a minefield. Have look throgh the reviews on homecinemachoice.com for the models you like the look of. Richersounds very good on price. John lewis will match but it takes 48hours as they send someone out to check the other store has it. Any of the main players are pretty good these days. At 32" you'll be lookingat LCD, unless you're budget can stretch to the latest models which are led. Look for minimum 100hz refresh rate, ideally 200hz. Oh and consider a 37" too. I got a 32 and whilst it seemed huge initially it soon shrunk into the surroundings and I wish I'd gone one size bigger!

fubar
    Free Member

Go to shop, look, pick one that is the least ugly (and then find best price on internet and see if the shop comes close on price).

I think most of the LCD tv's on sale are good enough for most people….I think my TV (couple of years old 32 inch Sony Bravia V series) is brilliant, yet it is only 60hz …but then I'm not playing blu-ray movies and trying to recreate a cinema in my living room. Far more important (to me) than marginal picture quality issues are usability…e.g. a responsive remote control, good volume control graduations, decent sound.

jonb
    Free Member

Which? Are very good for things like this.

From what I remember there was very little in it between Plasma and LCD. If you want cinema sound then you'll need your own system. There's no point in HD unless your TV is over 32" It becomes more worthwhile the bigger the TV.

The Panasonic Vieras all came out very well. We went for the 32" lower end one as we didn't want all the gadgets, just a TV.

Timn
    Free Member

LG are very good value, get one with built in free-sat

monkeychild
    Free Member

For 32" it has to be a Panasonic all the way 🙂

Check out AV Forums – more info on that site than you'll ever need.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Go and see them lined up in Comet, Dixons, wherever. That way all the confusing technical guff you read about picture quality can be discarded by the experience of your own eyes. Then go and buy whatever 32" LG they have in Richer Sounds.

Also, don't buy an HDMI cable for £20-£50. Mine was £1.29 posted on ebay, and does exactly what it says on the tin.

joolsburger
    Free Member

+1 for duntmatter.

Also it you plan to stick it on the wall, mounts can be had for as little as 30 quid so dont get ripped there either.

khani
    Free Member

second joolsburger on wall mounts, total ripoff in currys/comet
    less than half the price in maplins or pc world or even cheaper on ebay
    worth remembering if your getting a tv from currys/comet they HAGGLE

Del

you could just buy a crt off ebay locally. we got a 32" for 35 quid!
    don't forget you'll need either a freeview enabled telly, cable, or sattelite, to be able to receive.

djglover
    Free Member

32" = Panasonic from John Lewis. Mines great and they give a free 5 year guarantee

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Anything Panasonic and would definitely say John Lewis, price match and five year guarantee.

Erm, certainly don't base your judgment on viewing TV's lined up in Curry's etc.

They are fed from a split signal and have all their settings turned up ridiculously high to make them as eyecatching as possible.

View them professionally, or read What HI-Fi S&V, or AV Forums. I studied them for weeks before putting my small home cinema set-up together and ended up with a cracking system. You'll also find all the tips for setting up the particular model you do choose, getting the best picture out of it you can.

Mates who have flat panel HD set-ups, but have just gone for whatever they could get for a bargain price, or liked the look of in the shop gush with praise when they see my picture in comparison to theirs

I have a Samsung LE40 A656 BTW

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dull I know….buying a TV….not had one for ages and don't know where to start’ is closed to new replies.