Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dull I know but recommend me a gilet.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I borrowed a gilet yesterday and I’ve seen the light. It was a softshell Altura one and on a pretty miserable day kept me comfortable all day. What I would like is something that packs small so it can live in my bag, and not too expensive. What I’m wondering is whether to get a light softshell like I had yesterday or something that is just windproof and probably packs smaller. At the moment I’m thinking Altura Core or Howies Dagon.

jam-bo

Gore path.

prawny

I’ve got a sport full reflex at the moment, packs tiny and lives in my commuting bag. I used to have the cheapest altura one before this that had a full mesh back, that was better in every way except packability. Im a fan of the cheap she’ll ones, but I’d recommend one with plenty of back mesh.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have a craft one with zip off arms so also good for chilly springs and winters. Packs a little bigger but its the best of both worlds as a jacket and a gilet.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aldi for a tenner, last ones were a decent fit I.e. not ginormous and not too aldi looking either

senorj

I’ve had a Gore one for 15 years,…great bit of kit..the Mavic one I have is also going well after 5 years.
    The Mavic one packs smaller.

jonba
    Free Member

I find packable ones more use as if it is cold enough to wear a thermal one then my hands will be getting cold.

DHB Aeron for me. Not the greatest fit in the world but small and light.

Sportful would be my choice to spend more money, especially if there is a body fit one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wear a windproof sailing one from Musto. Pretty much any gilet will roll up small and go in a small backpack so that criteria should be easy to meet. Gore kit is wonderful and if you will wear it a lot worth the money

lee170
    Free Member

I’ve got a pearl izumi gilet and I’ve had it for roughly 7 years now, still going strong, wear it on the road bike and mtb.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

A BTwin 700 gilet from Decathlon at £15? 700 Series Gilet

Not very mountain bike orientated but packs down very small and super cheap.

PMK2060

I have been using the howies dragon for a few weeks. Decent gilet for the money.

mikeyp

A well fitting gilet is important. You don’t want a baggy one so worth trying some on. Gore gilets seem to last forever

tang
    Free Member

I have a Castelli Fawsome, it’s brilliant. Couple with nano flex warmers covers a lot of UK weather.

scaled
    Free Member

Scott one from start cycles. Winner.

ninfan
    Free Member

Regatta soft-shell gilets are a bargain from their outlet store

Daffy

Rapha ones are lovely and pack up incredibly small, even on the move. They’ve kept me warm and my core dry on many a changeable ride/day.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The Castelli and Rapha ones aren’t fitting the inexpensive requirements. I’ll have a look at the other suggestions.

martinhutch

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-phantom-20-windstopper-softshell-jacket/

Is what I have. Removeable sleeves, but doesn’t look like it in either format.

Very warm indeed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dull I know but recommend me a gilet.’ is closed to new replies.