Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Duke of Edinburgh MTB expeditions
  • thecarbonmonkey
    Free Member

I run numerous DofE expeditions each year and am getting more and more interest in MTB expeditions – they’re clearly popular with participants and schools, but as a parent how would you feel about letting your kids out to do their DofE expedition on bikes instead of on foot.
    Would the extra cost influence you?
    Are you worried about the safety aspect?
    Are you just plain jealous you didn’t get the chance? 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

I tried to get my school to do it for my gold expedition this year, but we didn’t have enough people and it’s probably more effort than it’s worth as all the kit still has to be carried doesn’t it? Otherwise I’d have loved to do it.

rickmeister

Pretty good idea, quite a lot of the DOE expeds in the lakes seem to end up walking on the roads anyway…

thecarbonmonkey
    Free Member

Sambob – yes all kit has to be carried but you either hire a trailer (off someone like me) or use a combination of panniers / frame bags / small rucksack. It’s certainly no easy option but many people find it a far more enjoyable 2/3/4 days.

In my experience it takes 2-3 years of interest from students, and the contact / employment of a suitably experienced and qualified DofE trainer / assessor to get the numbers and commitment up to make it happen.

Would you have considered an open group? (ie participants from anywhere, not just your school)

xiphon
    Free Member

@ thecarbonmonkey

I did my D of E (Bronze, Silver & Gold) through my school, and absolutely loved doing it.

Big respect from me, for giving kids the opportunity to do so 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Probably, but it’s easy to do it with school (getting materials and meetings etc) and it’s with people I know.

sc-xc

Penelope Keith gave me my gold award. A-List all the way.

vondally
    Free Member

Great idea and very do able…..,mtbing in general outdoor education perspective I feel is the most ‘dangerous’ actvity one does…….climbing you are in control of the situation, you can belay and so on ditto with most water based activities even on fast flowing rivers, mtbing generally is a potential nightmare, poor braking over ego and generally sillyness and the group can get strung out……
    saying all that what level is the D of E group,
    what pre training will be done…some coaching/basic maintence
    what safety measures in place………..not massively different to usual but for parents this is a big consideration

What area or terrain……….keilder and that area would be a great starting point as it is 90% off road and can be linked to newcastleton,

Oh where are you in the country?
    Hope it does get off the ground and great idea

convert

I help run D of E at my gaff and as a MIAS level 3 instructor I’ve thought about putting it all together and doing mtb expeds.

My only concern (without having done a jot of research as yet) is that running under the Hampshire authority it is absolutely impossible to get a walking route approved that has more than the very smallest amount of road connecting footpaths (about 500m over the course of a day max). Once you are confined to bridleways only and with the larger distances covered by 2 wheels I can see the number of routes we could put together being very limited unless the rules were seriously changed for bikes instead of feet.

The other thing that would worry me is the increased potential for equipment faff – it’s hard enough to make sure they all have good boots and supply enough waterproofs/rucsacs etc but trying to cobble together some shocking bikes into expedition worthy condition AND keeping them going on the trip would be another level again.

As I say, not done the research and working through Hampshire who are renown for being H&S OTT which makes everything difficult maybe makes it harder for me than you, but it could be good fun.

thecarbonmonkey
    Free Member

Convert – if you ever want to talk potential routes drop me an email tom@carbon-monkey.co.uk
    I deliver comprehensive training, practice expedition support and assessment and with the right group and right terrain / route the risks are comfortably manageable, I believe it comes down largely to the training.

Vondally – I’m based in Birmingham and work all over the UK and occasionally overseas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Duke of Edinburgh MTB expeditions’ is closed to new replies.