Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • duct tape on iPad screen? Bad idea?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I work with a boy with severe physical disabilities who uses software on his iPad to communicate.

As amazing as the app is, despite being able to change most aspects of the app, there’s no ability to make the settings icon respond only to a press and hold. The settings button at the bottom of the screen brings a drop-up (?) menu. All it takes is a tap on the screen away from the drop menu for it to disappear but it’s frustrating for him not least because a tap isn’t an easy thing for him to do due to lack of gross motor skills.

Would a small (5mm square) duct tape over the icon be a good idea? Would it stop the touch responsiveness of the screen as I’d like? Would the tape come off easily or, at worst, a little alcohol / elbow grease remove the sticky residue? Would there be any damage if left there long term?

Cheers

woody74

I don’t see any reason why it would be a problem. Any glue could certainly just come off with some alchhol, etc as the screen are quite tough

The only issue is whether the screen detect the tape as a touch. If it does then it might start playing silly buggers. If you put some fabric or paper under the tape then you should be fine. Maybe some masking tape.

somouk
    Free Member

The screen is capacitive so the tape will probably stop the screen from working but it won’t hurt to try things on the screen as generally it’s just a glass surface so stuff can be pulled off and the residue removed pretty easily.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Don’t use Duct tape, as the glue is a nightmare to get off. Use electrical tape instead, much easier to peel off and won’t leave a residue.

jimdubleyou

Have you dropped a line to the app developers? Sounds like something they’d want to change.

From a quick test with an iphone, don’t think a bit of tape will work. Maybe one of those double sided sponge sticky things – anything to prevent the digit from hitting the screen?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Knowing it isn’t going to cost me a new iPad screen I’ve experimented. The duct tape isn’t detected as a touch although touches can be detected though it. I’ve tried a few layers of folded post-it under the tape but pressing it is still recognised by the screen.

Knowing I can use the tape to hold something, what suitably thin things are non-capacitive?

edit: the person training me in how to admin the app spoke to the developers over a year ago and nothing’s been done despite releasing a major (v3.0 to 4.0) update. We use 3.8x. v4 is prohibitively expensive and doesn’t have that improvement. TBH, v3 was too!

edit II:

Maybe one of those double sided sponge sticky things

Genius!

Obviously, being a teacher, I have a collection of stationary to put WH Smiths to shame. It works perfectly and doesn’t make the screen think it’s being touched either.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘duct tape on iPad screen? Bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.