Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ducks in the garden
  • trailmonkey

Looks like a couple of ducks ( there’s actually two males and a female ) have moved into the back garden. They’ve been here all morning and look like they’re trying to find/make a nest. Anyone have any experience of this ? We have a pond so I guess they’ll be quite at home. I’m just a bit worried about their effect on other birds that might come in to the garden or their effect on the pond PH if they’re crapping in it or the lawn damage if they’re crapping on that. Advice please as I don’t want to scare them away, it would be nice to see the little ducklings in a month or two’s time 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you Tony Soprano?

trailmonkey

Yeah, who’s asking 😈

marsdenman
    Free Member

The two drakes are hanging around to see who can , erm.. be the first to ‘get his wing over’ when the little lady comes into season 8)

They’ll come and go for a few days, especially if you are feeding them, until the deed is done, after which its time to make a nest, a which point they’ll likely disappear and nest somewhere closer to a larger stretch of water (for food….)

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Some ducks turned up one year in a small pond at my mums work. They had their ducklings, pottered around etc and eventually left. They all returned the following year and had more but the survival rate dropped, so lots of dead ducklings everywhere 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

Plum sauce goes nicely.

Delbert
    Free Member

We had this happen a couple of years ago. The female made a nest and stuck around until the ducklings hatched.

They didn’t bother with our pond, but if they do take a liking to it then they’ll make a right mess and also have a taste for goldfish 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ducks in the garden’ is closed to new replies.