Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ducati 999S – anyone had one or ridden one?
  • flange
    Free Member

How do – know a few of you on here have bikes. About to go look at a bike for the other half (well, tomorrow) – a nice shiny 999S. Its a bit leggy but has the three keys, just had the belts done, new discs all round and looks to be mint. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for when looking at it? Apart from the fact it’ll fall apart in the rain and the electrics won’t work, obvs….

hammyuk
    Free Member

If its had new discs and is mint – look a LOT HARDER!
    A lot were tracked/raced so mint bodywork with marks elsewhere are tell tales.
    Look for drilled bolt heads, marks on the oil filter from a retaining ring, etc.
    Heads of the bodywork fixings worn, etc.

flange
    Free Member

I did think that – see the CBR600rr I went to look at that had wire-tied bolts all round and immaculate bodywork…Thing is, the seller is in his 60’s, has owned it from new and does a lot of European trips on it (hence the mileage). But noted, I’ll still check to see if the obvious signs are there.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If thats the case and its honest – nothing wrong with those motors.
    One of their strongest in road trim and very understressed.
    If all the paperwork is theres, receipts for the pats matching the mileage then go for it – as long as the price is right 😉

wilko1999
    Free Member

The 999 look has aged very well. When it was released I thought it paled in comparison to the 916 and didn’t much like it. Looking at them now though they look stunning. I can’t be much help though as I’ve never had a Ducati, but as with any motorbike – one owner from new, all documents, full service history, all keys etc is the ideal scenario. Post some pics if you go for it! Where’s it advertised, can I have a nosey?!

failedengineer

‘They’ always say that Ducatis need to be used, so a relatively high mileage (with regular servicing) should be a good thing ….
    Don’t ride it in the rain and it’ll be fine.

mm93
    Free Member

Have you ever ridden one?I haven’t personally but a mate of mine has one ,he is a big ducati fan but he doesn’t like the 999 for normal road riding .He loves if for track days and fast A roads but he says it is horrible/ impossible in slow moving town traffic.But i guess you wouldn’t buy a 999 if that was the type of riding you do a lot of would you?

geetee1972
    Free Member

A mate of mine is thinking of selling his Desmo if anyone is interested…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Like, Wow.

A bike for mere mortals it isn’t.

Buy it.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I love the look of the Tereblanche’s bike and I agree with Wilko in that they’re ageing better than the 916. 999s and 999r are future classics IMO. Horrible to ride around town, mirrors are good if you like seeing your own elbows, expensive spares etc Remembering that this will be a 10 yr + Italian bike- it may have a few niggles. I’d buy as a semi investment not as a daily runner.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

My wee 749R
    [/url]

weeksy

Had a 749s, it was uncomfortable, harsh, focused.

Lovely put together though.

Quirky, temperamental and very Italian.

I’ve owned 8 ducatis, i wouldn’t own another 749/999

redthunder
    Free Member

I don’t want a bike again ;-(

Please lock this thread 😉

Mmmm CBR600….. do I again ?

flange
    Free Member

Cheers for help gents. It’ll be a semi investment type thing so will only be used in nice weather. Off to have a look tomorrow, will post pics if it’s a winner!

Hells teeth lobby_dosser! That’s lovely!

br
    Free Member

Paperwork, it needs all of it, if for nothing else to enable you to sell it on.

juanghia
    Free Member

No, but when my 748 did decide to start it was crap around town and when you got out would instantly tried to kill me at any given opportunity.

Never came off that bike without the biggest smile on my face.

Now I have a house a wife a child…even if 15 of my pushbikes left the house I wouldn’t be allowed another )-:

Buy It, love it

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My mate bought a 916SP, on his first ride creeping through traffic he said he had tears rolling down his cheeks it was so painful…..

He loves it.

flange
    Free Member

Went to have a look, it was a total nail. So went to have a look at a 1098 streetfighter, but ended up buying a Tuono R of all things. Bit of a beast size wise but man alive does it like to wheelie…

davosaurusrex

Good work, always fancied a Tuono with the Ohlins and the Oz wheels and the Akras and all that loveliness

mrmoofo

I had a 998s for 11 years
    Check that it is really what you want … slow steering but stable. Heavy on the wrists. If you love them , you love them …
    But expensive to service, expensive not to ride, not a town bike, comfy above 80 mph ( go figure), horrid on mountain passes…
    But great on the track …
    How much track riding are you going to do …
    Check:-
    Service history
    Belt changes
    Regulators
    Anything non-standard …. suggests it has been raced / or v high mileage

weeksy

Gen2 Tuono ? or Gen1?

Congrats either way 🙂 I’ve had one of each.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Nice work! I currently ride a gen 2 Tuono, its awesome. The most fun I’ve had on two wheels. Try a 15t front sprocket if it’s not already got one.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I know someone who had a 999R,but he’s a bit ‘odd’.He bought it because his boss had a lower spec one (999) & he wanted to outbling him.It’s totally the wrong bike for him,he ended up getting the gearing lowered,higher bars & the back end lowered. 😯
    I guess it depends on what your’e planning on doing with it.
    I think all the Ducati sports bikes are quite single minded in their purpose & it’s not for everyone.
    I used a 916 for a while.It was my mates but he raced & didn’t have the time to ride it,so I used to take it out.From memory it really only came into its own above 60 MPH.It was a hoot to ride,but definitely not a everyday bike.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@flange – not a bike person but wondered what your thoughts were about the condition given the elderly one owner scenario? Just interested is all.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ducati 999S – anyone had one or ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.