Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dublin with a car
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in Dublin for work until Wednesday, and I’ve managed to wrangle a hire car. There’s lots of light in the evenings now and there are some interesting looking mountains.

Any suggestions of where to go? I don’t have my bike but I will have running shoes.

sv

Ballinastoe, oh sorry no bike…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t have my bike but I will have running shoes

Do you need a cashpoint on the route?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ignoring Yeti…

piha
    Free Member

Take a drive up into the Wicklow Mountains and pop into Johnny Foxes pub, it’s a bit of a tourist trap but worth a visit. The seafood chowder was always nice.

binners

Buy yourself a nearly completed housing estate.

Underhill
    Free Member

Out to Glendalough for a run up to the lake & round the forest, then over to Ballinastoe for a look.

Underhill
    Free Member

Actually, Ballinastoe can hire you a bike. Trek ht or fs. Ht would probably do you rightly

GregMay
    Free Member

Ballinstoe is pants, go rent a bike then drive to Djouce 5mins up the road.

Or, come out out to Howth if you fancy a run 🙂

Or, there is a fell race in 3 Rock (the nice nearby mountains) on Wed evening.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Powerscourt is nice.

Saccades
    Free Member

Ballinstoe is grand, bit of an all weather pitch compared to the swampy natural stuff, biking.ie hire out decent bikes (Deore equpped Treks, always looking brand new, inc helmets). Djouce (just around the corner) is better but you’d need a guide to show you around to get the best out of it. If you’re really keen you could probably get guided by niall (biking.ie owner) in the early evening. If I’d known i’d have given you a loan of a bike and pottered about with you, too late for me to re-arrange stuff to help you out now.

For Running I’d suggest Glendalough, go to the carpark at the lake (signposted visitor centre), Head to the lakes up what’s called the Green rd (it’s signposted, basically carry on up the valley) At the lakes run up the their right hand side (opposite to the side you are on) on what starts as a fireroad up the whole of the valley to the abandoned miners village, follow the trail as it loops up to the left of the valley (starts are a width path with some steps and turns into railway sleeper path over boggy bits)to the top of the spink (odd name for a bit of a mountain) which gives you ace views of the lakes below you on your left and the surrounding hills. Run along the spink and follow the signposts (red as I recall) back down to the green road and back to the car park.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well if I’d known there’d be bike hire I might’ve brought biking gear. This Glendalough place sounds ideal though, waymarked trails and lakes and whatnot. I’ll probably give it a whirl.

Saccades
    Free Member

No worries – Biking.ie is the only place I know of in the dublin area that does proper bike hire, something to bear in mind if you’re over again.

Glendalough is well signposted to and from (about 45mins max from dublin), not only is there all the above bits but it’s the site of an ancient monastic settlement and very photogenic.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s bound to be photogenic, since I haven’t got my camera. Where in Dublin can I get an Olympus OM-D? And how can I conceal the new camera and resulting credit card bills from my wife?

sunnrider
    Free Member

Glendalough is a beautiful place, lots of history and almost big enough to get lost in.
    It´s been a while since I was last home (grew up about 45mins from there) but can you actually take a bike round the trails?

Saccades
    Free Member

It’s bound to be photogenic, since I haven’t got my camera. Where in Dublin can I get an Olympus OM-D? And how can I conceal the new camera and resulting credit card bills from my wife?

Dutyfree electrical shop – much cheaper, or I guess postcards… tbf google images will give you loads of images you could steal.

Sunnrider – The offical line is that cyclists are welcome to the national park to cycle on the fireroad trails (very back end of board 2 of the list of sub-rules), but not to cycle on the walkers paths (about 3rd line down of the first board of rules).

But I was explaining a good route for a run and wouldn’t dream of advocating cycling anywhere in a national park that didn’t allow such a thing 😉

GregMay
    Free Member

but can you actually take a bike round the trails?

Nope. Its a national park and you’re not supposed to…. take from that what you will.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Shame, I´ve always wanted to bring the big bike back home for a blast round dub mtns and glendalough.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Dutyfree electrical shop – much cheaper

Checked the price of a Canon 5d this morning (brother in law was in Manchester duty free).

The best they would do was £2255.

Found it online for £1935.

sunnrider
    Free Member

CANON EOS 5D MARK II:1599€ in a (particular) shop in Bilbao. Use the saved cash to pay for a biking holiday in the same area 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Stop hijacking my thread with pointless over-cameras.

Drove out in to the Wicklow mts last night and also this evening. I took my running kit but didn’t make it as far as Glendalough, partly due to the terrible roads.. still at least I got a good core workout!

Pretty, kind of like a cross between Mid Wales and Scotland. The biggest difference I thought was the sparse woodlands in the valleys, some nice mossy old Oaks there.

Saccades
    Free Member

yeah, roads have suffered over the last few years due to some savage weather.

Loved living over here these past 10 years, trails are harder to find but well worth it.

Give a heads up if there is a next time.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

i know its a bit late now but next time post a thread on an indigeonous forum like http://www.epicmtb.com or http://www.madmtb.com

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oak? You saw Oak? You lot chopped them all down for your **** navy. 😡

🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dublin with a car’ is closed to new replies.