Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dublin?
  • Caher

Has anyone ever lived and worked in Dublin before? Have a chance of a job out there but as i only really know the south and west area (ie Cork and Limerick) Dublin is quite alien to me.
    Would mean a move from the home counties here in the UK which i am settled in.

import
    Free Member

Yep, born and lived there until I moved in the opposite direction a few years ago. Great city, would move back tomorrow if the wife and I could make the career thing work. It’s a very small-big city, friendly people, good nightlife, culture, arts, outdoors, whatever takes your fancy really. Good opportunities in the tech and pharma sectors at the moment…

What part of the city in the potential job in? That will pretty much dictate where is best to live.

Just south of the city are the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, think Surrey hills on steroids with a bit of Wales, Peaks and Lakes mixed in – a great spot for riding, but most of the best stuff is a bit “grey”, so might be best to join a local club. It’s easy to find somewhere to live that’s 20 mins from the city centre one way and 20 mins ride from great trails in the other direction. Rathfarnham, Dundrum etc would be my preferred location, but it’s really going to depend on where work is.
    West and north is fairly flat, with a big road cycling scene. Cyclocross is booming too, if that’s your thing. Bigger mountains an hour’s drive to the north (Cooleys, Mournes)

Property prices won’t be too much different to what you are used to in SE England and rents have risen sharply recently. If you need to use public transport for commuting, the two tramlines and Dart are best options, but the property prices reflect this. Be aware that most bus routes run radially from the city centre, so bear in mind that getting around the outskirts may be not as easy as it should be. The M50 ring road is bearable, if driving is your thing.

If you have more specific questions, drop me an email.

Caher

Thanks import – just saved this thread from page 2 obscurity!
    The job is in Dublin 7 -as i am no longer a fresh young thing i would rather keep more towards the suburbs but know that transport in Dublin is pretty dam useless.

Saccades
    Free Member

DNS :scared:

Property buying is a bit mad at the mo (which is making renting ridiculous) – although if meet the deposit requirements (20% plus) you’ll be grand.

Dublin is a tiny capital city, on a bike from the centre to the top of the trailhead is 10 miles max, but with everything you’d expect from a capital.

Moving via car in dublin can be a nightmare – no flow to traffic at all – but buses/taxis and bikes are all pretty good so long as you are moving in or out, going sideways is another pain (I say this from a irregular trips into the centre from inchicore).

I do think import is selling the hills short too (they are all southside pretty much), no public footpaths/ROW/bridleways over here and the easy to get OS style map doesn’t show walkers trails in the national parks.

Clubs are a good way to learn local stuff, but there is tons on strava. Would recommend madmtb.com as a good club in dublin (all levels catered for and loads of member spins with a good attitude).

Oh, whilst I remember the best bar is the George 😉

import
    Free Member

Sorry Saccades – didn’t mean to sell the Dublin mountains short; I really can’t speak highly enough of the place. What I did mean was that it combines the best bits of Surrey-like trails (forested, techy singletrack) with the likes of the Lakes and Peaks (open, big, rocky, boggy in places). And the new trail-centre additions a la Wales. (Why did I leave again?) It’s perfectly possible to wake early, get in 2 hours on the trails, ride down into work and be at the desk by 9am, which is a huge plus for any capital city.
    It’s a biker’s paradise really, thanks to the work of the local clubs, and Robin 😉

Dublin 7 might still be commutable from the southern suburbs – depends how far north into D7 you’re going. A bike is the best, most reliable way of getting around – just don’t leave it locked up anywhere you can’t see it.
    Paging GregMay to the forum for northside advice please!

Definitely +1 on the joining MADmtb, though I think you’re being a bit cruel about the George. That might be quite an introduction to the city.

Saccades – did you at one stage ride for MBUL whilst being with a more local club with a very, ahem, vocal leader, and now ride with MAD? I’m 99% sure I know who you are!

llatsni
    Free Member

I live in Dublin, on the south side: Dublin 14, and work in the city centre (near enough to Dublin 7 actually)

[even numbers are south, odd are north, lower numbers are closer to city centre]

By bike, it’s a 20 minute commute to work and 30 minute spin to the trails. There’s not many capital cities like that!

GregMay
    Free Member

Lived and born there – left due to lack of jobs in area I’m interested in.

It really is a nice city. Ample road, CX and MTB riding – more MTB on south side of city.

I lived D13 and it’s a 25min commute into the city centre by bike, longer by train. Easy city ride around once you get the routes dialed, flat as a very flat thing bar Christchurch hill.

Also selling a house there if you want 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

Hiya Import – 100% bang on, that’s me – and you….?

I read your reply late last night tired and reading it again this morning it makes more sense.

I’ve been here for 14 years now and no real plans to move (depends on impending redundancy though I guess), I live a way outside the city though so no good on giving commuting advice/house prices/dublin areas really.

Costs wise most things except fuel are more expensive, parcelmotel is a godsend, but flights to the UK are cheap and regular, the ferry is really good (I reckon this summer they’ll fire the 99mins superfast ferry back up again with the cheap price of oil) and 3 hours in the car will have you over the west. People are really friendly (better than living in the north), kids education is very good and cycling is great.

import
    Free Member

Saccades – I’ll give you a hint. I’m in the cover photo on the MAD facebook page. Was around for the resurrection of MAD in the MO’C era and on the committee for a number of years.

Cost of living-wise, I found it to be very similar to London, but the salaries in Dublin were better, so I appeared better off.
    You’ll have to pay for GP visits (€60 for a couple of mins) and the state schooling is normally quite good. Universities don’t charge as high fees as the UK, if you’ve got family heading in that direction.
    It will seem completely absurd that there’s no red-amber phase on the lights, throws me for a loop every time I go home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do I like Dublin? I don’t know, I’ve never dubbled.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just south of the city are the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, think Surrey hills on steroids with a bit of Wales, Peaks and Lakes mixed in

I drove around the Wicklow Mts once – I thought it felt more like Dartmoor. Which is no bad thing of course.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I lived and worked there for a couple of years…had a great time. Friendly place, good vibe, close to getting to coast and out to quieter places. I went from living in central London to Dublin and noticed the change – Dublin in contrast was quieter and I’d bump into people (unlike the anonymity of London)..worked for me. This was fifteen years ago though – if it makes any difference…

Saccades
    Free Member

@import – I’m awful with faces & names, next time you’re over give me a dig in the ribs (I will slowly hunt you down though 😉

M’OC has faded into the background, rises like the kraken at times.

@molgrips – Going to dartmoor this summer (a week around 24/12), fingers crossed it’s similar.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dublin?’ is closed to new replies.