Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Duathlon – Has anybody done one?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

I want to try a couple of Duathlons next year for a couple of reasons:

1.To try something different
    2. to give me motivation to keep training.

Would like to do an offroad one but am open to doing one on road.

So has anybody ever done one? Any training tips and can anybody recommend any in the north west areas.

Thanks

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, did the Trispirit events one at Chilham Castle in September.
    I did the ‘sprint’ 5k-27k-2.5k.

I loved it – despite being really crap, and almost coming last.

I am going to carry on with the running over the winter, and have another go next year.
    Weirdest thing was getting on the bike after running – my legs basically didn’t work for the first couple of miles.

I’d definitely recommend it – really friendly crowd as well.

jumble
    Free Member

A few of our cycling club got into duathlons a couple of years ago. They ended up representing GB at the both the age categorised European and World Championships. They had a great adventure doing it and it was inspiring to see them do it. I think they positioned very high as well. It looked like a really good and fun thing to do.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Thinking about doing Ulverston Tri clubs winter series – well I think about it and then F*** that. Last sunday in every month not sure if you need to be a club member though. 5k-28k-5k.

RichT

I’ve done a few over the years. They are generally very friendly events and really good fun.
    Worth doing some brick sessions in training, so you get used to running off the bike.

888trojan888
    Free Member

Cheers all, yes ive been reading about brick sessions and it makes sense. Just need to find a suitable one near me now to get started

Tallpaul

I followed the beginners training plan from the British Heart Foundation for my first one:

Training Plans

But basically, its brick sessions and practice transitions. It amazes me how much time people throw away in transition.

If you’re doing it on road (and already have a road bike), clip on Tri-Bars are the only additional kit you need.

wors

I have done a couple this year as training for Ironman back in July, I enjoyed them and it’s amazing how much you can push your body when in racing mode. The second run is a joy to behold!! 😈

IanMunro
    Free Member

Did a standard road one last month. Expect a much fitter field than you’d get a typical fun run. For instance the women I parked up next to could do a sub 35 min 10K.
    I think off-road ones might have a broader spectrum of abilities though.

molgrips
    Free Member

A mate of mine did a relatively local off-road series. He was a fairly recreational runner at the time and a fairly handy cyclist. He won the series apparently because everyone else was terrible at biking. The length of the bike section favoured a decent cyclist.

Edric64
    Free Member

Yep,the second run is interesting if you give it beans on the bike .Being a time triallist I can ride through a large majority of the field but have them run back past me when my legs refuse to work as a team on the second run

bol

I’ve done a couple and really enjoyed them. More fun and friendly than the average xc race. If you can ride a bike reasonably quickly and run a bit, I think you have quite an advantage over those who run more than ride – at least on the off-road ones.

888trojan888
    Free Member

Im a decent rider but my running days have been vague over the last though so would need the most attention

vickypea
    Free Member

I did an off-road Adventure race a few years ago – essentially a Duathlon with a little bit of kayaking thrown in the middle. We were the first mixed pair and it was brilliant fun. I would have done more but I had to quit running.

niksnr
    Free Member

Brick sessions are a must, but you’ve picked up on that already. Like others have said, the second run is a killer. I found that doing a bit of (what is now in vogue) “crossfit”, did me the world of good. Basically, burpees, squats, press ups, rowing. You can find plenty of workouts online. This really helped strength in legs for second run. It’s amazing how quickly your body deteriorates after the bike section. Good luck!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

The National Off Road Duathlon championships are at Sherwood Pines tomorrow, you won’t get an entry but there’s another on in about a month in Nottingham for which entries are still open. The series is organised by One Step Beyond.

bigdaddy

I’m doing the boxhill ball buster one tomorrow. Love them – I love them as predominantly a cyclist as you fly past on the bike. There is payback later of course, but they are a lot of fun and a bit different. Try one out…

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I’ve done a few at Castle Combe which are good fun (if not a bit pricey now at £31!) but its a good mix of people competing, they are sealed surface events on the racetrack and perimeter road so fairly quick times, they run 2/10/2m distances so even biffs like me are done in well under an hour but its a really tough hour and you finish a physical wreck. All I would say is get in to trnasition and out as quickly as possible, no faff, no dawdling, no stopping for a breather, you waste so much time in transition its untrue, you think you are in and out quickly but its easy to waste two minutes there…

Also remember where you left you bike in the racks and watch out for the BTU officials patrolling the transition area who will DQ you if you touch your bike without first putting on a helmet, really….

richmars

Did loads in the 90’s, mainly as I’m rubbish at swimming and I could be fairly competitive at duathlons. Did Ball Buster a few times, and Zofingen in Switzerland.

ant77
    Free Member

I did the Ballbuster as well this weekend… And I’m walking like I did it too… But in my nice purple hoodie, so I don’t care!

Def need to work on my transition times as well as the run after ride. I hammered past loads on the bike, despite cramps, but they all passed me by once I started on the final run.

Will do the next one with a little more preparation…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I regularly cycle to get the groceries and stop for a swim on the way home. Does that count?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Duathlon – Has anybody done one?’ is closed to new replies.