Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dual or single ply?
  • sherry
    Free Member

Im just about to buy some Maxxis high roller 2.35 kevlar tyres the question is dual or single ply? The tyres are the same price and will be used on a Cove handjob hardtail. They will be mainly used for aggressive XC/trail riding and I weigh around 220lb.

jam-bo

I’d only run dual ply on a DH bike.

james
    Free Member

My 2.35″ kevlar walled high rollers have noticably better puncture protection than most tyres I’ve used (with the exception of 2.5″ wire walled high rollers) I’d go for them. The dual ply one will be about half a kilo heavier each

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Depends what pressure you run and how hard you are plowing through rock gardens. 2 ply are very hard to pinch flat even on a ht but they are heavy.

grumm
    Free Member

I really like my single ply high rollers for grip but I punctured a lot with them

RichPenny
    Free Member

Running tubeless in the Alps, would you still go for single ply?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

If you want to run singleply in the alps i’d go tubeless.

if you’re running dual ply – not really much point in tubeless – except to increase the faff of inflation. not like you’re gonna pinch flat a DP tyre really.

Brown
    Free Member

You can still pinch-puncture tubeless tyres. Maxxis single-plys seem (to me) particularly prone to it.

I run a single-ply HR on the front and a 2-ply on the back (tubeless) when I really don’t want to puncture.

If I’m not going anywhere rocky for a while, I’ll leave the single ply on the back to save some weight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dual or single ply?’ is closed to new replies.