Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dual compound tyres
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Having been pretty happy using Nevegal DCs for a year or so, thought I'd get something else this time with a more open tread to cope a little better in the mud. Now the Nevegals have a harder compound down the centre which is great as I use them for the commute too, and softer side knobs, but their replacements which arrived today (Intense Edge DC Lite's) have a super soft centre tread with harder side knobs . . . doesn't make sense to me (and I know I'll be cursing that squidge all the way to work). Before I send them back, can anyone convince me that these are any good.

mamadirt
    Free Member

According to the late great Sheldon Brown

"Dual compound" tires feature a center strip of fairly hard rubber for improved wear, with a softer, grippier formulation toward the sides of the tread. The intent is to provide better cornering traction without compromising the lifespan of the tread.

Which is what I thought too . . . why have the harder compound at the edge, as on the Intense tyres?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mamadirt

i've been a huge fan of the tyres you have just purchased for a few years now

i'm pretty sure it's the other way round to what you say, seems to perform that way.

It features 2 compounds, Sticky Rubber in the side tread sections, and durable and fast EX compound in the center treads.

from the intense tire website.

they are cracking tyres by the way although they are pretty useless in mud!

mushrooms
    Free Member

edge pattern is fast rolling while maintaing excellent traction in a variety of terrains. The Edge Lite casing is constructed with light weight Single Ply casing and folding beads. It features 2 compounds, Sticky Rubber in the side tread sections, and durable and fast EX compound in the center treads. 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, that's why I ordered them, but the centre grey tread is definitely very soft (almost jelly like) and the side knobs much harder . . . here, have a feel . . .

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you won't notice the difference until you really lean them over in my experience, they are a tyre that rewards an aggressive stance on corners, pretty sure you'll be fine there 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Surely you want harder rubber in the middle to decrease rolling resistance and wear, and softer on the outside for grip on corners and over rocks, roots etc when the tyre deforms over them

Currently on Panaracer Rampage having just moved from Cinders – both have softer rubber on the outside

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the grey is just a coating by the way to make them look sexy. i'm off to feel mine right now 🙂

i'll feel mrsmw's as well as they are the non DC version

mamadirt
    Free Member

That's what I thought too CaptainMainwaring.

the grey is just a coating by the way to make them look sexy.

Yep, they do look fantastic. I'll await the result of your 'feeling' 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

right, all felt up 🙂

the middle knobs feel more deformable but this is just because of their shape and the carcass underneath, if i stick my thumbnail in then the rubber is definitely softer on the outer knobs, it takes longer for the nail mark to disappear.

mrsmw's ones are definitely consistent across the whole width under the thumbnail test.

stop sniggering at the back please

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ah, you're right Mike – I've managed to score the outer tread with my nail and barely marked the centre – cheers for that 🙂 . I just know they're gonna squirm on the way to work but hey, it's downhill off-road on the way home – appearances can be deceptive, eh – reckon I'll give them a go.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

good, they are great tyres (if a little expensive although they are £10 each in the states!)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dual compound tyres’ is closed to new replies.