Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dual Chain Retention Device will this help the chainsuck on my Alptitude
  • sprocker
    Free Member

I have emailed Genesis about this but have had no response, has anyone tried either the E13 or Gammut devices for dual ring setup and do you think it could help with the chainsuck. I have a Genesis Alptitude and it has the ISG mounts and a very close tolerance for the rings to the chainstay. Last weekend I smashed my chain and f/mech because of it plus some damage to the frame which on a 6 week old frame is really annoying.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Stopped it 99% of the time with my Hustler. Went from really bad to really infrequent. E13 DRS. It's not light though. A mate was having issues recently and he's using a blackspire thingy that seems to hae done the trick.

james-o
    Free Member

Hi, when did you mail us? i think we have a glitch on some mails getting through at the moment, can you can mail me at enquiries@genesisbikes.co.uk to check?

the 24/36t is closer clearance than the std triple on the Altitude, a chain device lower roller does reduce or eliminate chain bounce causing the chain to jam. Chainsuck shouldn't happen on a relatively new bike so chain bounce / jam is more likely the issue. I can't see how chainsuck has smashed the FD though, unless it was pedalled all the way round?

Cheers
    James@Genesis

Olly
    Free Member

chain suck is more often than not caused by a worn chainring.

james-o
    Free Member

ah just read the post again, is it old parts on a new frame? then suck rather than bounce is more likely (that sounds a bit carry-on haha!)

the Alpitude is designed for 50mm chainline cranks, and chainsuck from the 22-24t ring may well scrape paint a bit but shouldn't cause stuctural damage, as long as the chain doesn't twist and get jammed by pedalling force – that level of chainsuck is very hard to design around.

A chain device roller will reduce chainsuck anyway.

sprocker
    Free Member

james have forwarded my original mail again. Rings are nearly new with no signs of wear and the cassette and chain were brand new for the build. the chain got jammed and snapped under load and bent the front mech in the process. On the other occasions it has happened I hae had to break the chain to free it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dual Chain Retention Device will this help the chainsuck on my Alptitude’ is closed to new replies.