• This topic has 45 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by sv.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • DU Bushings, what do you reckon?
  • sv

Kaesae is trying to be as helpful as possible to the OP

…he is trying to sell him something. Although the OP might get them free to try?

kaesae
    Free Member

sv – Member

Kaesae is trying to be as helpful as possible to the OP

…he is trying to sell him something. Although the OP might get them free to try?

Hello SV, how are you ❓ first we need to determine what kind of bushes the shock is running.

For that neil853 needs to understand what the different inner lining colours mean. Grey is DU, red is DP and if the bushes are cream coloured then it’s a polymer for arguments sake.

Although the DU and DP bushes are identical they use a different kind of metal. Both are steel with a layer of sintered or porous bronze, attached to the porous bronze is PTEE impregnated metal. However there isn’t really any point in going into all that. DP4 will out last the DU bushes,

Here’s an extract from online.

The material of DP4 bushing is similar with DU bushing. According to the material is different, the color of inner layer is red. DP4 bushing has good wear and friction performance over a range of loads, speeds and temperature conditions. DP4 bushing has a very good performance in oil lubricated heavy duty hydraulic application. DP4 bushing offers benefits in applications where corrosion of the lead in DU may occur. DP4 offers improved wear and friction performance along with good chemical resistance compared to DU. It is applied to the forming machines, office equipment, medical and scientific equipment, packaging equipment, pneumatic and hydraulic cylinders, pumps and motors, railroad and tramways, textile machinery, valves, etc.

http://www.bombayharbor.com/Product/39066/Dp4_Bushing_Sliding_Bearing.html

Check to see if the bush is grey in colour, if it is then upgrade, however you should also be looking to make sure there aren’t any other factors causing the excellerated wear.

Gice me a shout via my email and I’ll try and help out, gotta go I have a lot on!

sv

Hello SV, how are you

Kaesae – I am great, heading to Jockland for some Stanes action this weekend. How are you?

What is PTEE? Maybe I will learn something today 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey, I’m good, but a bit tired, if your bike needs any emergency repairs give me a shout, I have loads of stuff lying about 😀

PTEE is a polymer similar to PTFE which is also know as teflon. A very slippery substance but also quite soft.

They use it in bushes to reduce friction however they have to add a metal also to make it more durable.

What kind of bike do you have?

Dibbs
    Free Member

My single pivot Mt Visions used to get through DU bushes every 4 to 6 weeks. Marin/Whyte brought out a bearing kit that sorted the problem, it used the same full complement deep groove bearings they used in their pivots and had a lifetime warranty. I’ve been trying to get hold of another set without luck though. 🙁

sv

I was trying to find out the full name for PTEE, like PTFE is polytetrafluoroethene.

I have a Spesh Pitch and an Inbred. We are avoiding the big city but thanks for the offer.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘DU Bushings, what do you reckon?’ is closed to new replies.