• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • DU bush stuck in eyelet….
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’ve got an RP23 with the DU bush stuck in the eyelet, I’ve got the proper Fox tool and have changed bushes before – so know what I’m doing, but this one is proper stuck in the eyelet.

any ideas for removal? I did think shock impact with a hammer, but I don’t want to ruin the shock body with the vice.

I’m soaking the end in GT85 overnight, hoping that’ll ingress enough to free up the corrosion…

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Ricks

bigyinn
    Free Member

Carefully use a hacksaw blade?

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm…. interesting. Didn’t cross my mind

andrewni
    Free Member

Are you using a vice with the fox tool or are you using a hammer. Only ever done the job once and used a hammer & fox tool to drift the old one out but vice and fox tool to put the new one in. Without going and looking I can’t be sure you can use the tool in a vice for removal but if you can it would give you much stronger consistant pressure.

bigyinn
    Free Member

A junior hack saw would prob do it. If you can clamp the shock in a vice, you should be able to cut the bush without harming the eyelet.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hard to imagine the interface between the bush and eyelet taking too much force to remove it.

Is the bushing tool damaged or does it have an old bush in it?

No insult is meant by asking these questions, just making sure all causes are looked at.

rickon
    Free Member

No offence taken 🙂 Bushing tool is pretty new, worked fine last weekend. No old bush in it either, I’m afraid 🙁

rickon
    Free Member

Andrew: Yep, tool can be used to press the bush out.

I’m pretty confused, as the last few I’ve done have all pushed out like butter… the others were plastic, this is metal though…

coatesy
    Free Member

Metal ones do require a fair amount of force to remove.You’re based in Cardiff if memory serves me correctly, pop it into Sunset tomorrow and i’ll stick it in a man’s vice for you if you have no luck 😈

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got the Ebay tool linked to above and it works a treat. I don’t see how a bush could defeat it.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve got the proper Fox tool….. I’ll give it another squizz this morning then pop and see Coatsey or Loco 🙂

I’ll have to grab me some donuts and coffee though methinks.

kaesae
    Free Member

If a vice can’t press the bush out that tool won’t be able to generate enough force.

My tool uses much larger components and a thrust bearing to ensure it’s durable and can generate a lot of force to deal with stuck bushes which does happen now and then.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-SHOCK-BUSHING-TOOL-Fox-bush-tool-KaTec-bikes-/140587185644?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20bba635ec

However considering that I vice won’t do it, there’s a chance it wouldn’t work either.

sv

I have one of the ones monkey child linked to, works well for metal and plastic bushings. Cheapest on eBay too.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ricks, what’ve you been up to now? 😉

Back in the workshop monday so pop up at lunchtime and we’ll sort it, don’t try and force it otherwise you could be in trouble with a damaged eyelet as it’s only aluminium, the standard Fox tools which are aluminium too do have a habit of deforming abit over time, I use a specially made steel, and a massive vice, if that doesn’t work there are various other options.
    Hold off on the donunts as I’m on a diet as I’m starting to get fat from all the treats everyone keeps bringing me 😳
    Hope your enjoying your Bfe 😀

jam-bo

You need a bigger hammer.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers LoCo, it’s a lunchtime trip then. I’m not doing training at work, so I’ll take a long one and work a bit later, I’ll bring the BFe over for you to have a whizz on it… short stays = wheeeeeeeeelies!

coatesy
    Free Member

Loco, i’ll see your “massive” vice,and raise you an “Enormous” 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes ok Coatsey, you’ve out viced me your one could fit the back end of a Ford Cortina in it

bigyinn
    Free Member

Vice envy??

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes I would go and steal it but would need a forklift to get if off the bench and out his workshop 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘DU bush stuck in eyelet….’ is closed to new replies.