Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • DU bush source
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Looking for some new bushes for my rear shock, 12mm OD x10mm ID x14mm wide. Seem to be strugglign to find them at bearing suppliers or bike shops!?

uplink
    Free Member

12mm – that's Manitou isn't it?

Anyway the generic part number for the 1/2" ones used for Fox is 08DU08
    So give that a try & see if it can lead you to a supplier

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thanks uplink, I have found somewhere from that – lets see if they can match my needs!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rkk01
    Free Member

DU ???? – isn't that stuff a bit heavy on a bike

Hadge
    Free Member

Coffeeking – call BETD and they will sort you out in no time with what you require.

coffeeking
    Free Member

? Standard bush isn't it?

Hadge – they want £8 + postage for 2, they're about £2 from industrial suppliers (if you can find them!).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…And BETD will charge you through the nose for it too.

DU bushes have a code on them. Quote that code to a bearing supplier og Google it. Should be paying about £1 each. 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

TFT have everything you need of course (although perhaps not the cheapest source of standard DU bushings:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/mount_kits_bushings.aspx

coffeeking
    Free Member

No codes on mine, just two cyls of teflon-esque plastic

Hadge
    Free Member

They are that expensive from BETD because I've lovingly machined them for you pmsl. Didn't even realize they were that expensive, I only machine them so no comment

coffeeking
    Free Member

PP – not the correct size for my shock AFAIK, the fox ones are either 12 or 12.7mm IIRC, I need 10s.
    Hadge – yup, or £15 for "custom" size?! Ordered from bearing-supplies.co.uk for £1.40 each.
    If I had my lathe handy I'd have lovingly machined them for myself 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, are we talking about the eyelet bush, or the reducer/hardware that fits inside it here? OP says bush. I'm talking about bushes. All Fox bushes are the same….. 🙂

Bush is specific to the SHOCK
    Hradware/reducer is specific to the BIKE

Hadge
    Free Member

I'm a biker like all of you here! There are lots of things in our hobby way over-priced and I try get a bargain just like anyone else. Glad I get mine done for free – perk of the job I guess lol.

coffeeking
    Free Member

PP – Bush. Its not a fox (Which are 1/2"). Its a rock shox SID race with 12x10x12 bushes. As I said at the start 😆 But thanks anyway!

Hadge – Well then you're lucky to get them free but BETD is utterly ripping people off charging that much for an industry standard bearing that can be had for a quid a time when buying more than 20 bikes worth.

tragically1969
    Free Member

12mm OD x10mm ID x14mm wide

No you didnt !! you need to make your mind up !!

glenh
    Free Member

Just get a new shock dude – that's an awful shock anyway! 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

No you didnt !! you need to make your mind up !!

Its a fair point, I was going off the shock body width, I then popped them out and determined they're 12s, my bad 😀 still cheap as chips in either form and has absolutely nothing to do with the mounting hardware as PP was suggesting 🙂

glenh – its a lovely shock, works a treat, easy to service and does exactly what it says on the tin, while weighing sod all. Why should I get a new shock? What improvement am I going to see without spending an absolute fortune? I might get compression damping adjust, but I dont really need that as I set it to my chosen weight of oil, and I might get fancy valving to speed-adjust damping, but my ass won't notice it.

Hadge
    Free Member

Coffeeking – I wouldn't like to pay £8 for them!!!!! I also don't believe in paying over the odds for anything but please don't think it's only BETD that charge a lot for what seems very little and I'm sure you don't. I honestly can't believe what nearly all mtb stuff costs to make and I guarantee you that everyone in the hobby pays way way over the odds for everything we buy – but it's called business I'm afraid.

Olly
    Free Member

ive got no problem with betd prices

i would however like a betd sticker to point out that ive spent the cash on a secsy bushing tool, strong reducer to replace the cheap alloy top hats, and some 4 quid hulahoops :$

its ALL about the stickers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hadge – I certainly dont think it's only BETD (though I'd suggest that custom machined bushes for a 10-15 would be good value, just standard ones are not). I'm aware most MTB stuff is way-over-priced, thats why I'll always buy any consumables (bearings, seals etc) from industrial supplies and have, in the past, imported identical frames from China for £20+postage that were selling here for hundreds 🙂

I've bought some of the "strong bushes" for mine that I do consider a decent price, from BETD. Probably machined by you too Hadge 😀 Could do with a little slower feed on the bearing surface (or maybe faster rotational speed) though, its got distinct tool markings!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No issue here with BETD products, but when you can get a bushing tool for £5-6 less than they charge from the USA, and get 8 bushes included as well, you do begin to wonder a bit………. 😕

Hadge
    Free Member

Old stock coffeeking pmsl. I haven't machined the Strong Bushes – the top hats yes so if there's anything wrong with them I will hold my hands up. The SB's are done on a machine another lad uses and the programmes were written many moons ago. I believe we will be making some new stock soon so I will pass on your findings anyway, so thanks.

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 excuses excuses 🙂 I was tempted to finish mine off with some wet and dry and a drill but I know I'll go too far and end up with eternal rattles 😀

ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

[url=http://www.ashleypower.co.uk/glacier_metric_plain.htm]Try Here[/url]

coffeeking
    Free Member

ROG – ta, sorted now, but bookmarked for next time.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bugger, just dis-assembled it one step too far – nitrogen/oil foam mix anyone? Now I have to figure out how to re-charge the sucker.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bugger, just dis-assembled it one step too far – nitrogen/oil foam mix anyone? Now I have to figure out how to re-charge the sucker

YOU can't.
    TFTuned can though…….

Service time!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oh yes I can, I'm not taken down THAT easily 🙂 I have access to all the kit I could possibly need, if I can get hold of the factory pressure specs!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Really? 🙂

I'm impressed. What do you do for a job then? I guess it's linked?

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 I'm a mech/elec design eng with access to quite a workshop including all the pressurised gases. If I can't find a part I'll get one of the techs to machine it for me 🙂 Fortunately, as I have a habit of doing things like this 🙂

Interestingly, RS own service manuals suggest recharging with air to 250-300psi, rather than nitrogen. Though I suppose air is a large percentage nitrogen lol.

coffeeking
    Free Member

OK, update. New bushes installed, woo.

Shock body fully rebuilt (IFP piston set to correct height using strip of film negative to break the o-ring seal and let the piston slide down OK without damaging the bore). Found out that the charge pressure is ~200psi, so all I have left to do is to find/make up a fitting to convert from teh M2? bolt hole to a shraeder size/thread and I'll be up and running again! Works significantly better with 10Wt oil than it did with the original 5wt, since I have it up near 250psi in operation.

crazy-legs

Surprised you didn't just send the frame & shock to the guy referred to in this thread… 😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-this-joker-on-about

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 But I have more passion and skill than him, and my bike isn't a grim turquoise colour!

MrAgreeable

BETD is utterly ripping people off charging that much

In defence of BETD, when I phoned them the woman who answered was able to tell me straight away what bearings I needed for my particular model and year of frame. Once you factor in the faff of searching for your particular bushing or bearing their charges do start to look pretty reasonable.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Once you factor in the faff of searching for your particular bushing or bearing their charges do start to look pretty reasonable.

Depends I suppose. If you see a bike as something to be ridden and maintaining it as a chore, then yes. If you enjoy sourcing and fitting bits as much as riding then no. Certainly, if I was being employed to obtain parts it would be financially inappropriate in the eyes of my boss. But as it's my cash and my evening by the fire with the laptop it makes perfect sense to me (and surely anyone who is likely to be fitting their own bushes?) 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘DU bush source’ is closed to new replies.