Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DT XRC fork / chris king headset issue – constantly loosening
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

So, I’ve been struggling with this problem for years and never truly solved it!

It maybe unsolvable, simply the flaws of a carbon steerer!

I have a set of DT XRC 100 forks with a Chris King Headset (2005 vintage) and Thomson Elite stem (two bolt type). This all fits pretty nicely in my Pace RC200 F8.

My problem is that the above set up always works itself loose after a few hours riding. I’ve used a number of different expander wedges and although I can get the headset nice and tight initially it always comes loose. Maybe it is something to do with the Thomson stem not gripping the carbon steerer well, but I had the same problem with my old pace stem.

Anyone experienced something similar…

Thanks in advance

gee
    Free Member

Fit stem, then insert and tighten bung. If you tighten the bing without a stem on it can ovalise or even crack the steerer. I had this exact combination for a while – used the bung that came with them – no problems. Are you sure it’s the headset that’s loose and not the bushings? Also – is the steerer slightly too long?

Gee76
    Free Member

Ck griplock might b an option?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wm4wm4
    Free Member

Gee76. The CK griplock doesn’t fit my slightly older headset. Maybe it’s worth looking at a new headset, but I haven’t really got the cash at the moment!

gee. I agree with the stem on first solution. I always do that. Funnily enough Originally I thought the problem was due to a badly manufactured uneven steerer (was about 2mm difference between steerer walls) so I had the fork sent back for new uppers under warranty. The forks came back a few weeks ago, but the geniuses at DT have left a 3x1cm blob of resin, stuck in the steerer exactly where I’d want to cut it down. So , to answer your question, now I have a steerer that overshoots my stem by about 60mm!

I should probably have the fork sent back again. It’s just a real hassle…

Any other thoughts,

Cheers

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Headlock any good?

rc200f8
    Free Member

wm4wm4, why wont the griploc fit your headset, I’m using one on a 1993 no logo King headset – works great

gee
    Free Member

Why can’t you cut the steerer then file off the resin?

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Can’t use headlock as forks are sealed off at the bottom.

Not sure why, but the top race is slightly different from my headset.

I could give the ‘resin filing’ a go, but sounds like a lot of hard work!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

gee
    Free Member

It will take you 2 mins. Just don’t file into the fibres.

GB

Northwind

You can probably sell your existing King for enough to buy a proper headset- won’t necessarily solve your problem but will eliminate a potential cause, and stop it from eating your steerer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DT XRC fork / chris king headset issue – constantly loosening’ is closed to new replies.