Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DT Swiss XCM forks – anyone got any? What do you think of them?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Having had Really bad experiences with my last Pace purchase (RC37s a long time ago!) I'm a little apprehensive but they do get good reviews and look the muts nuts!
    How stiff are they? I'd be coming from 20mm Revelations so how does the 15mm bolt through compare torsionally? How well does the flight control system work.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Just wondering – nothing to do with my last post 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Blimey – has no-one used these?

I know they're expensive but I thought someone on here would have something to say about them 😯

kamina
    Free Member

I had a DT EXC fork on my old bike (stolen). Replaced with a Fox 32 Float (2010 Fit) on the new bike and I have to say I preferred the DT.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    James_D
    Free Member

I have the XMC 130 with the through axle and i really like them, they are light and very plush and the travel reducer thing is really handy.
    The main downside is that the rebound adjuster is very easy to knock aand if you lock them out you will almost definately end up turning it. (i would say price but i got mine half price from wiggle!)

fbk
    Free Member

kamina – can I ask why you preferred them? How did they compare with regards to torsional stiffness?

James_D – Cheers for that. The price has always been a sticking point but they're £400 on CRC at the mo 🙂

fergusd

I have a set if XMC 130's, replaced an old, old set of RC36's which were great until the fork bridges broke . . . or so I thought until I rode the XMC's which are a different league . . . I've used them for about 2 months in all weathers, they are as slick and plush as they day I bought them, no complaints whatsoever, warrantee for 2 years too. The climbing lockout thing works well and even though I thought it was a gimmick it's good on long fireroad climbs . . . full travel is very smooth and very little friction . . . damping adjustment ranges seem to be sensible and useful . . .

Probably not the best review as I generally buy kit then use it until it's completely wrecked rather than replace because it's not shiny any more . . . but there you go . . .

Fd

fbk
    Free Member

Fergus – fine review, I wish I had the will power to only replace things when absolutely necessary 🙂 .

Having said that, I have just sold some old '97 RC36 pro class forks on Retrobike and I agree – cracking forks that lasted ages.

I was kind of hoping people would post on here saying what rubbish the XMCs were though to remove temptation. Damn these pre-Christmas Bargains!!!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Assuming they are similar to the Pace RC40 Xcams then the action really is great, they are not very stiff but i find i can cope with that.

Paces have very mixed reliability but for what DT Swiss are charging i'd hope they are much better now.

I've also had coil RC40s and they were (apart from some major reliability problems) amazing forks, considering how simple they are, they perform perfectly on all kinds of riding and the travel reduction dubery is great. Agree that the rebound is a bit easy to catch with your knee or when you take the lockout off. The automatic lockout release is pretty good once you have it set up correctly, get all the other settings right first as they can affect the level that it releases at

fbk
    Free Member

MrM – I thought the RC40/DTswiss forks were renowned for being stiff? I know Pace had their problems though – that's the main reason I haven't bought anything from them in the last 12 years!! I believe DT Swiss have brought a bit more quality control into the system?

Thanks for the comments guys. You still haven't persuaded me not to get one 😉

rbmccunn
    Free Member

My mate has EXC 150’s with the 20mm TA and they are great, had no quality issues, super stiff and plush. He uses the flight control thing to lock them out for all the climbs and loves them. If I weren’t so skint I would get a set of the XCM 130’s for my Cove hard tail in a heartbeat, £400 at CRC, bargain.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33724

kamina
    Free Member

kamina – can I ask why you preferred them? How did they compare with regards to torsional stiffness?

Well they where very light, at the time the lightest fork in that travel range (old Rev's where quite heavy with the thru axle). They where very stiff, I felt stiffer then the Pike I had (but Pikes are not that stiff actually, I would imagine new Rev's are stiffer). The fork used all of it's travel and was quite supportive on the mid stroke.

I now have a 2010 Float with the Fit cartridge. I can't get it to use the last 20mm of travel, and there is loads of stiction (only ridden for 3 hours till now though).

I can second what was already posted about the rebound adjustment moving easily when you lock out the fork, I had that problem too. It was pretty fast to correct though, and I also felt the rebound adjustment did more then it does on competitive products.

Mind you, I had the one with a 20mm thru axle.

fbk
    Free Member

That's great. Thanks Kamina – really interesting comparisons. Especially the one with the Pikes (My Rev's are '09 so basically air sprung Pikes). I guess the Floats will improve though with use?

rbmccunn – the CRC offer is the reason for this thread, bloomin' bargains!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Quick hijack. Returning to the MTB scene after some time out. What's the deal with Pace and DT? Did one buy the other or what?

DT where just introducing their spokes last time I looked…..

psychle
    Free Member

cheers for the heads up folk, just bought a set for myself, nice little early christmas present 8)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

NiC – I found the 'zocchi AMSL that the RC40s replaced stiffer and the wife found the recons she replaced hers with to be stiffer

fbk
    Free Member

Swedish Chef – DT Swiss bought out the suspension arm of Pace 2 or 3 years ago and moved production over there. The prices shot up but word isa the quality control issues that plagued the Pace versions (RC40/41) have been ironed out….hopefully!! Pace are still involved as UK distributer for the forks.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Many thanks for the informative reply.

bowglie

If anyone is interested I've a pair of XMC130's that I'm selling (£325ono). The forks perform brilliantly and got even better when Pace serviced them last July. Absolutely awesome looking aswell – it's just a real PIA that they don't fit my new frame. Email me for pics & details if you're interested.

billyboy
    Free Member

I have two Pace Rc41XCAM (130)forks. Brilliant at going downhill over rough stuff….give huge loads of confidence. One of them doesn't have much small bump tolerance, the other is ok (that's despite servicing). The other easily blows off when locked down.
    I've used then for two years or so and they are not holding my loyalty. And the main reason for me has to be the lack of a straight lock out/ or a straight travel reduction where the travel remains active.
    They are brilliant. They are light. But you need to use them on a bike where travel reduction to aid climbing is never going to be an issue.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss XCM forks – anyone got any? What do you think of them?’ is closed to new replies.