Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DT-Swiss X430 rims – setting up tubeless with just tape?
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

i’ve just ordered a cannondale scalpel which comes with DT Swiss wheels which i believe use a custom XC430 rim (but with a lower rim count).

i like running tubeless and have spare valves, stans tape and stans fluid knocking around.

i know that the official way of going tubeless with these wheels is to use a rim strip in addition to the tape, but is this really necessary?

the standard tyres are schwalbe racing ralph evo’s which i have run in the past and i know work beautifully tubeless.

anyone had any experience with this?

cheers

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run my DT470’s tubeless with tubeless valves and a couple of wraps of gorilla tape & Bonty tlr tyres. The Stans tape didn’t take up enough slack

campfreddie
    Free Member

what do you mean by taking up enough slack?… i thought the tape was purely there to create an airtight seal around the spoke bed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got 470’s too, mine are just sealed with electrical tape and a normal valve, I think it took quite a lot of tape though, about 30g per rim, 5 or 6 layers.

steve_b77
    Free Member

campfreddie – Member
    what do you mean by taking up enough slack?… i thought the tape was purely there to create an airtight seal around the spoke bed.

The Stans tape is quite slim so if the rims are a little smaller than say Stans they need more tape & gorilla tape is cheap as chips in comparison.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DT-Swiss X430 rims – setting up tubeless with just tape?’ is closed to new replies.