Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DT Swiss wheels – any good
  • lehutch
    Free Member

it’s wheel choice time for my new 29er and have been looking at Arch Ex with DT Swiss 240 hubs, these come in at around 1.7kg the pair…

Anyhoo’s, I have seen these DT swiss wheelsets online in a sale;

1. X1600 with Maxxis Ardent/Ikon (£250)
    2. XM29 Ltd with Maxxis Ikon (£350)
    3. XR 400 with Maxxis Ikon (£350)

I think they all have DT Swiss 370 (?) hubs which I assume are around the same quality level as 340s?

These seem like a good deal but just want to check how they compare with my first choice of Stans Archs…..?

Any help appreciated….

Cheers

jonnyrockymountain

The first 2 links nice light xc wheels the 3rd link light but bit stronger

lehutch
    Free Member

Cheers dude, but really interested in the wheels I mention….after all some of your suggestions are out of stock??

eltonerino
    Free Member

If they are the ones on Merlin, the first set are 26″

benpinnick

Bit of a mixed bag in terms of figuring it out (without links).

X1600 – thats a mid range wheelset running 350 hubs (or some variant of).
    XM29 – might be a Tricon wheelset? Tricons were light but problematic, and spares are a bitch.
    XR 400 – thats a rim I think, so difficult to judge.

FWIW the 370 is a fairly big downgrade from the 350s, so its worth getting the X1600 on that alone if the other 2 are 370s.

BearBack
    Free Member

X1600 likely the only factory wheel here but iirc probabky an 18mm inner rim width.
    Xm29 likely an oem build for a manufacturer so unlikely a tricon wheel. Xm nomenclature would suggest ~22mm inner rim width.
    XR woukd suggest “cross race” so dt’s narrower rim. Coukd be built to any hub depending on which oem brank spec’d the wheel.

Either way, id aim for stat ratchet hub and 22mm inner width as it enables wider tires at lower pressures. Much better than skinny and hard unless you are riding canal paths only

lehutch
    Free Member

thanks guys…

based on this feedback i’m going to go with my original idea of Arch ex with 240 s hubs

cheers

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve got the lower level/budget 350 hubs and really pleased with them. A lot quieter than the clicky Hopes and you can get the star ratchets with 36 teeth that gives a really quick engagement. They are an expensive upgrade at RRP but got mine from Poland on ebay and they arrived very quickly.

stevied
    Free Member

Have a look on actionsports in Germany. Cheapest DT wheel build I could find.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss wheels – any good’ is closed to new replies.