Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • DT Swiss Tricon- spoke replacement help
  • swanny853

Has anyone replaced a spoke on a Tricon wheelset? The OH snapped one at Antur at the weekend so it’s learning time. Checked the videos, I think I’m pretty happy with the process, just wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for (I am quite happy working with normalproper wheels).

Also, has anyone found a way to buy the spokes individually rather than a random selection for many pounds. And tools, I’m guessing the hub nipple is just a torx head but are any of the other frighteningly expensive tools easily do-withoutable?

Cheers!

swanny853

Bump for the Friday night crowd?

berty375a
    Free Member

i snapped a one on my rear wheel, 3 weeks to get sorted! is it front or rear?

berty375a
    Free Member

u have to buy the spoke with 2 nipples and the tool, it aint cheap, best off taking it in

swanny853

I think you’re right that a trip to the shop is not a bad idea, see what trade accounts can do!

swanny853

Lbs don’t seem to have any more options available, looks like an expensive job whatever. Happy days!

hatter

TF tuned are the guys to talk to for DT Swiss wheel issues, they’re the U.K. service centre.

The main reason DT Swiss ditched the Tricon is the issues with servicing, shame as the system builds a very stiff light wheel but they’re not easy to work on.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Park do a torx nipple tweaker and spoke holder. total cost £15 ish.
    Can’t help on the spokes though.

swanny853

Thanks folks, will look into that!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I have some tricon spokes and nips in stock what size do you need dude? If your near lowestoft PPP over and I’ll gladly sort it out for Dr pepper and the cost of the spokes needed

swanny853

That would be amazing- Lowestoft is a bit far for me but if you’d be willing to stick a spoke (and nipples and that ‘boat’ thing?) in the post I would be a very happy man! What sort of cost is a single spoke (nips etc)?

Cheers!

Can’t recall the length top of my head, will check tomorrow.

juan
    Free Member

Make sure you have a decent spoke holder. The tricon spokke nipple spanner cost about 13.5€ RPP
    It’s worth checking you the nipples are prolock rather than glued

swanny853

OK, am I missing something? As far as I can tell the ‘plastic nipple holder’ is basically just for holding the nipple/boat thing in place while you thread the spoke in, right? Can this not be accomplished with a pair of pliers and something to make them soft jawed so they don’t damage the nipples?

I would really quite like to avoid buying them because the kit to get them is £100 at crc! For a spoke key, spoke holder, torx socket and some bits of plastic… Makes me wonder if I can get on to someone like raceware direct and see if they’ll print me one if I can CAD it up.

I’d already bought the fancy spoke key, which still rounded a nipple- didn’t know about the potential for them to be glued then though.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

The kit from crc is a rip off at £100 you can use pliers to thread it into the hub if you gentle and use rubber. What lenght did you need anyway dude?

swanny853

Sorry, only just got hold of the wheel- having some issues getting the spoke out! Best measurement I can get with it in is 231mm from where it threads into the hub nipple to the snapped section of the rim nipple thread. There’s around 2mm of thread left on the spoke at the rim end, the rest is in the nipple.

Glad to hear about the nipple holders- must be diamond coated to cost that. Am I right in thinking that the hub nipple tool is just a standard torx socket too?

Ta

swanny853

It’s one of the tangential spokes on the disc side of the rear wheel if that helps?

swanny853

And just found the dt tech documentation- apparently the spoke length for that position should be an Aerolite 257mm. If you’ve got a 248mm Aerolite as well there seems to be one of those coming loose too which may signify it’s on it’s way out as well.

Cheers!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss Tricon- spoke replacement help’ is closed to new replies.