Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DT Swiss Spokes, Comps or Revolutions
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

With my wheel build a bit delayed due to missing items…. I’m now wondering about spokes.

Laced to a WTB KOM i25 rim 32h, so plenty wide and stiff… would you be using Revs or Comps?

This is for general Enduro style trails around the Tweed, and local Enduro Races too.

Normally, I’d be recommending Comps to all and sunder – but it’s a significant weight difference with the Revs – and I’m running Revs on my Rovals wheels which are 24h front and 28h rear. Given, they’re flexy – but I’m attributing this to mainly the 24h front.

Cheers

Ricks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why revs if it’s not an ultralight Tim?

Comps for me

sillyoldman

Comps are my default – just built a Dually on a Boost 350 with them this evening.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sapim D-lights

Northwind

rickon – Member

This is for general Enduro style trails around the Tweed, and local Enduro Races too.

I asked Steve D, he said Comp Races. Because obviously what you need is more options

rickon
    Free Member

Although no one sells those Comp Races online. I’m assuming I could just get a dealer to order them in, mind.

I’ve used Comps for probably the last 4 years, I had used Revs in the past and I do remember them being flexy. That could have been because I built them poorly though and on Stans Alpine rims.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Given, they’re flexy – but I’m attributing this to mainly the 24h front.

But of info that might be relevant here:
    🙂

SPOKES – Spoke stiffness and spoke count are also responsible for forty percent of wheel stiffness; however spoke crossing patterns and spoke tension do not have a significant impact on stiffness. Increasing the spoke count in a front wheel from 16 spokes to 20 spokes will increase the wheel’s resistance to deflect laterally by approximately thirty percent. Increasing the spoke diameter and profile from a 2.0/1.8/ 1.5 mm triple butted spoke to a straight-gauge 2.0 mm spoke will increase the wheel stiffness approximately thirty five percent. The combination is additive, so increasing the spoke count from 16 to 20 spokes and the spoke diameter to a 2.0 mm straight gauge spoke will increase overall wheel stiffness by sixty five percent.

From
    \http://www.reynoldscycling.com/reynolds/news/Understanding-Wheel-Dynamics-Wheel-Stiffness

Bez

The combination is additive, so increasing the spoke count from 16 to 20 spokes and the spoke diameter to a 2.0 mm straight gauge spoke will increase overall wheel stiffness by sixty five percent.

Additive? Can’t be, surely.

(If you start with a 16 spoke 2.0/1.8/1.5* wheel with a stiffness k and go to 20 spokes, their claim of a 30% increase means you now have a wheel of stiffness 1.3k. Then you’ve got their claim of a 35% increase for moving to 2.0 PG spokes, which would be 1.35×1.3k, which is about 1.75k, ie a 75% increase. So at least one of their claims must be wrong.)

* I assume they mean 2.0/1.5/1.8…?

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve been running my new wheels for a few weeks now. WTB i25 KOM on DT 350’s with Revs. No problems at all to report and I’m a healthy* 14.5st on a 601 which I do ride pretty hard. No major jumps but plenty of rocky stuff

hatter

Comps are stronger than Revs, but I personally wouldn’t use them on a MTB build that’s going to get ridden hard.

If you really want to get the weight down get Aerolites, they’re as strong and thanks to the increased contact when the spokes crossover they build up lovely and stiff.

All that Swiss cold forging doesn’t come cheap though.

If in doubt.. comps, can’t really go wrong.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss Spokes, Comps or Revolutions’ is closed to new replies.