Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DT Swiss Spline Play
  • phy7tes
    Free Member

My DT Swiss 29er m1700 spline wheel set has developed some play in the front wheel. Do I just need to change the bearings in them? Can I replace the sealed bearing unit or can it be serviced? Are the bearing units fairly generic or specific to each brand / model?

Apologies for the stupid questions but I have no idea. Any help much appreciated.

coatesy
    Free Member

Wading through DT’s site shows they’re cartridge bearing hubs with pull-off end caps, no adjustment possible, probably best to do a search on their site for info on stripping them as there’s a few variations. No obvious info on bearing sizes on there, so best to measure them up rather than take bearing codes as i’ve been fooled previously by DT (16100 bearings with 6001 seals).Simplybearings or Ka-tec are usually recommended for good quality and service.

hatter

Sorry if I’m stating the bleedin’ obvious but you are 100% suyre hat it’s no movement in your disc rotor or pads right?

So long as the wheel’s spinning smoothly that’s always worth checking, it was a pretty common diagnosis during my shop days when people came in with ‘bearing play’ on decent hubs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    phy7tes
    Free Member

Cheers coatesy, I’ll get them out and have a look.

hatter – I’m pretty sure the whole wheel is moving, not just the rotors!

hatter

Fair enough,it’s worth checking though, could have saved you a few bob.

Ambrose

IME DT hubs are either really easy to work on or they are totally impossible unless you have the specific tools- the rear 210 is a total non starter without the correct tool.

Anyway, does this help at all.
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Support/Service-Videos-Documents?cat=Hubs

You will be able to pick up the bearings needed at your local bearing supplier. It’s a bicycle wheel, it isn’t so special that the manufacturer went to the extent and expense of specifying, designing and making a particular sized bearing when the thing already exists. Which is good news for us users.

njee20
    Free Member

IME DT hubs are either really easy to work on or they are totally impossible unless you have the specific tools- the rear 210 is a total non starter without the correct tool.

The 240 you mean? It’s hardly a ‘non starter’, you do need the tool to reach the bearing right in the middle of the hub shell, but because it’s right in the middle it lasts for ages. You can do all the others, including those in the freehub body with no special tools whatsoever.

You will be able to pick up the bearings needed at your local bearing supplier. It’s a bicycle wheel, it isn’t so special that the manufacturer went to the extent and expense of specifying, designing and making a particular sized bearing when the thing already exists. Which is good news for us users.

In this instance you’re right, not a given though, Tune hubs contain proprietary bearings.

Pull your end caps off OP, check what the bearings are, order 2 replacements, done. They’re very easy to work on. Could be 6802s, think 240s and 350s are.

Ambrose

Mea culpa- yup, 240, not 210. Without the correct tool it is totally impossible to remove that inner bearing. FWIW a guy I met welded a ratchet ring onto a big fat bolt to make a ratchet ring removal tool. Cheaper and quicker than getting a cloned tool he reckoned. I tried it, it works just fine.

phy7tes
    Free Member

Trying to remove the adaptors by hand and they ain’t budging. Referring to the instructions it seems that I have the ‘pressed on’ adaptors and need a special tool! Do I need this tool? Anybody removed these adaptors without it?

Cheers

sillyoldman

You don’t need a special tool. In an ideal world you’d use soft jaws in a vice (as you would for removing and push fit end caps on any hub), but you can use any technique you want to grip the end caps depending on how fussed you are about the finish.

If not fussed, use molegrips or similar. If fussed, I’ve had success with wearing a pair of marigolds and holding each end cap and turning them against one another while pulling apart.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss Spline Play’ is closed to new replies.