Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • DT Swiss RWS Thru Axle
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Anyone know what’s going on with these? Struggling to find places stocking them.

Can find the Thru Bolt (like a QR but fatter axle), and the QR versions, but the actual axle ones seem to be disappearing.

Also I’m confused on the options as there seem to be different thread lengths, and there are ‘X-12’ versions. Most the options seem to not be for sale anywhere though and those that have them seem to be long out of stock.

Looking for a standard 142×12 axle and I’ve really taken to the DT RWS design, having them on all my bikes so far.

There’s one option in stock, but it’s Giant branded (and not sure if the threading might be specific to Giant). https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/dt-rws-10-mtb-142—12-thru-axle-black

ogden
    Free Member

Giant threading is specific to their frames, if you have a giant you need this https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-DT-RWS-10-MTB-142-12-Thru-Axle_107952.htm

mikertroid
    Free Member

I had a nightmare getting a new rear axle for my boardman as it’s a e-thru design.

Found shimano do a superb axle. Think it’s available in all the regular formats too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixie

There is no such thing as a standard 142×12 axle. You need to work out what system your bike takes and go from there. What frame is it?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, I came to realise this 😀 . Thread pitch & length being key.

Quick chat on picking up my (Bird 😉 ) frame and sorted out a Maxle Ultimate in the end. I think I’d still prefer a DT RWS but will see how I get on with the Maxle. Got them on forks and not so keen as they’ve needed occasional lever repositioning which is more of a faff than with DT, plus the DT just screws in tight, no faffing with a cam lever in different positions until it seems tight enough.

Anyway, still doesn’t quite answer why it’s tough to get the DT axles, except maybe they’re generally only available to manufacturers/distributors (e.g. I can get one for my Santa Cruz from Jungle).

simondbarnes

Anyway, still doesn’t quite answer why it’s tough to get the DT axles, except maybe they’re generally only available to manufacturers/distributors (e.g. I can get one for my Santa Cruz from Jungle).

Madison are listing 16 RWS skewers. In 142×12 they are showing…

Plug in MTB Shimano E-thru (in stock)
    Plug in Syntace X-12 (due 14/12)
    Plug in Road (Due 8/1)
    RWS Alloy 12x1mm thread (due 8/1)
    RWS Shimano E-thru with aluminium lever (in stock)
    RWS for X-12 with aluminium lever (in stock)

This is why I hate the bike industry and all of my bikes are 130 or 135mm qr rears.

hatter

If you can tell me the total exact length of your current axle shaft, how long the threaded section is and what pitch the thread is (It’ll be 1.5 or 1 mm) I should be able to work out the code you need.

Alternatively, ask Bird which standard they use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss RWS Thru Axle’ is closed to new replies.